H-SC President, 1909-1917
After serving as pastor of Farmville Presbyterian Church, Henry Tucker Graham 1886 accepted the presidency in 1909.
Graham had been the winning pitcher in Hampden-Sydney's first intercollegiate baseball game and was a terror on the tennis court. While he was pastor in Farmville and all during his presidency, he endeared himself to the students by regular and enthusiastic attendance at athletic events and led the hat-throwing after victories.
The focus of his energy was the welfare of "his boys". Dr. Graham's most visible monument is the south wing of Graham Hall - named for him after his departure - which he built in 1916 as the College's first real gymnasium, chiefly to accommodate the astoundingly popular basketball, played the previous twenty-five years in makeshift quarters.
The College took over from student and alumni boosters the financing of athletics. Every College building got long-deferred maintenance including dramatic improvements in plumbing and heating and full electrical service.
In 1917 Dr. Graham resigned. "His boys" presented him an out-sized, championship-style loving cup.