H-SC President, 1963-1977
W. Taylor Reveley 1939 was a star of Dr. Eggleston's last graduating class: president of the class for three years, member of a social fraternity and two honoraries, three-sport letterman for three years, student-body president (after holding both lower offices); he graduated magna cum laude and received the Gammon Cup and the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Medallion. After the full course at Union Seminary, he was ordained in 1942 and served briefly in two pastorates and as an Army chaplain before joining the faculty of Southwestern College, Memphis, (now Rhodes College) in 1946. Having interrupted his teaching 1949-52 to secure a Ph.D. from Duke, he became Southwestern's Dean of Admissions and Records in 1961.
In spring 1963 he accepted the post of Secretary of the Division of Higher Education of the Board of Christian Education of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.), headquartered in Richmond. His arrival in Richmond at the time of Dr. Gilmer's resignation reawakened the consideration first given Reveley as a presidential candidate in 1960, and he was elected President by thr Board.
During Dr. Reveley's administration, the College experienced significant growth. The enrollment increased by nearly 40%, and the number of faculty grew to accommodate a revised core curriculum and the expansion of majors. Winston Hall was converted into the Commons, Whitehouse Quadrangle, Gilmer Hall, the Blake Complex, and the Hampden House Units were built. A major addition to Eggleston Library (1961) was built in 1975; Eggleston Library was demolished on 2016 to make way for the Brown Student Center. The endowment more that doubled.
Unlike his two predecessors who held the College apart from the impact of Massive Resistance and theclosing of the Prince Edward County Public Schools, Dr. Reveley was a strong advocate for the reopening and strengthening of the public schools. In 1968 the College enrolled its first African-American student.
In 1975 the relationship which had existed between the College and the Presbyterian Church since 1919 changed to restore the fully independent status of the Board. The College remains affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.
In 1977 Dr. Reveley left the preisdency and joined the faculty until retirement in 1982.