November 13, 2013
On November 14, 2013, Dr. and Mrs. Howard joined VCU President Mike Rao and his wife Monica and more than one hundred and fifty retired faculty members to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the founding of the Medical College of Virginia. MCV was founded on December 1, 1837 when the president and trustees of Hampden-Sydney College created a medical department to be located in Richmond. This department opened its doors on November 3, 1838 in the old Union Hotel located at the corner of Nineteenth and Main Streets in downtown Richmond. Dr. Howard made some brief remarks on the history the two institutions shared and presented a resolution to VCU from the Hampden-Sydney Board of Trustees honoring the University on the momentous occasion of its 175th anniversary.
VCU President Mike Rao, his wife Monica, and President and Mrs. Howard