Expenses and Financial Aid

Financial Aid
Academic Scholarships


Hampden-Sydney does not operate for profit, and expenses are maintained at a minimum consistent with efficiency and high standards. Actual student fees account for approximately 3/4 of the total cost of the student's education. The remainder is provided by income from endowment and by gifts from alumni, friends, and foundations.

Expenses and costs listed below are composed of certain fixed fees payable to the College.

Tuition $41,516
Student Activities Fee 416
Room Rent - Double Occupancy 5,878
Room Rent - Single Occupancy 8,066
Board (required of most students; see exceptions below under Board):  
Unlimited meal plan (mandatory for freshmen, available to all others) 7,408
15 meal plan (available to sophs., jrs., srs., and off-campus students) 7,064
5 meal plan (available to off-campus students) 2,094
Technology Fee:  
(single room) 1,528
(double room) 1,030
(off campus) 612
Health and Wellness Fee 436
Special Fees:  
Course Overload, per credit hour (over 19) 1,300
Part-time and Special Students, per credit hour (fewer than 12) 1,300
Reissue of Student I. D. 20
Late Enrollment 56
Graduation Fee 500
Late Payment Fee 125
Parking Permit/Registration Fee 270
Orientation Fee 436
Study Abroad Fee (per semester) 1,144
Cooperative Programs Fee (per semester) 1,144

The College reserves the right to make changes to tuition and fees without prior notice.


Tuition covers the cost of education, materials required in laboratory courses, admission to athletic events held on the campus (except NCAA Tournament events), student publications, and other activities. It does not cover breakage of College property or the purchase of expendable materials for laboratory courses.

The Student Activities Fee provides support to student activities and organizations. These funds are distributed to the Student Finance Board and College Activities Committee. This fee is charged 50% for each semester and is non-refundable.

Room Rent in College housing covers cost of occupancy and utilities. Each student is responsible to the College for the condition of his room and is expected to report any damage to College property to the Associate Dean of Students. The student must pay the costs of repairs or replacement and, depending on the circumstances, may suffer disciplinary action.

Board. All students-except day students, those residing off campus, those residing in private homes on campus, and married students living with their spouses-are required to board in the Commons. If a student has a serious medical problem relating to diet, he may request that the College waive the boarding requirement. He must submit a specific diet recommended by his physician to the Dean of Students, who will consult with the food service manager. If the food service manager cannot reasonably meet the dietary requirements, the Dean of Students may waive the board requirement if the student can meet his dietary needs in an otherwise satisfactory manner.

The Technology Fee provides state-of-the-art Microsoft Office and operating system upgrades, anti-virus software, computer helpdesk, computer repairs, cable television, FM radio, wireless and data connections. This fee is charged 50% for each semester and is non-refundable.

The Health and Wellness Fee supports medical, counseling, and education services provided by the Wellness Center.

Course Overload. Students who by special permission of the Executive Committee of the Faculty are taking more than 19 hours of course work in a given semester must pay an overload fee for credit hours above 19.

Part-time (fewer than 12 hours) and Special Students (normally no more than 7 hours) pay a per-credit-hour fee for courses taken at the College. See the descriptions in the Academic Program section. Students carrying at least 12 hours each semester are considered full-time.

The Late Enrollment Fee is assessed when a student fails to matriculate on the day scheduled. This fee may be excused by the Registrar if the reason for late matriculation is beyond the student's control and the student has contacted the Registrar's Office about this matter before the end of the day on which matriculation is being held.

The Graduation Fee is payable by January 1 of the senior year to cover the cost of the diploma and cap and gown for Commencement functions.

The Late Payment Fee is assessed if an account is not paid by the due date. (See below under Payment of Fees.)

Study Abroad Fee. All students going abroad are assessed an administrative fee per semester.

Cooperative Programs Fee. All students participating in these programs are assessed an administrative fee per semester.


Fifty percent of all charges is payable by August 1; the balance (50%) is due by January 1. If an account is not paid by the due date, a late payment fee is assessed. The College regards the student's account as delinquent unless arrangements satisfactory to the Vice President for Business Affairs and Finance have previously been made. A student whose account is delinquent is not entitled to board, room, registration, admission to classes, or issuance of transcripts.

In unusual circumstances an extended deferment may be granted by the Vice President for Business Affairs and Finance. However, such deferment involves interest charges on the balance outstanding.

Fees are billed electronically and can be viewed and paid by accessing the student's TigerWeb account. The College no longer mails paper bills. A student may designate others as an "Authorized Payer" which allows them to also view and pay the student's fees. Payment may be made online by credit card or ACH (e-check). Checks can be made payable to Hampden-Sydney College and mailed to the Business Office, P.O. Box 127, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943; (434) 223-6216.


Hampden-Sydney College complies with all federal regulations governing recipients of federal Title IV funds. Specific information regarding College refund policies is available in the Office of Financial Aid. Where federal regulations do not supersede, the following institutional policies apply:

For voluntary withdrawals before matriculation, written notice must be presented to the Vice President for Business Affairs and Finance by the matriculation date. If written notice is received by the deadline, the tuition, fees, room rent, and board paid by the student or for the student's account from private resources (not including grant or loan funds from federal, state, or College financial-aid programs) will be refunded, less the $300 advance deposit required of all newly-accepted students.

For voluntary withdrawals after matriculation but before the first day of classes, 100% of tuition, room rent, and student activities and technology fees paid by the student or for the student's account from private resources (not including grant or loan funds from federal, state, or College financial-aid programs), will be refunded to those who deliver written notification of their withdrawal to the Vice President for Business Affairs and Finance or the Dean of Students during the period between the date of matriculation and the first day of classes. The following fees will not be refunded: $300 advance deposit required of all newly-accepted students, the Orientation fee, and prorated board fees.

For voluntary withdrawals during or after the first day of classes and up to and including the seventh calendar day after the first day of classes, a refund of 80% of the tuition paid by the student or for the student's account from private resources (not including grant or loan funds from federal, state, or College financial-aid programs), less the $300 advance deposit required of all newly-accepted students, will be made. During the period from the eighth calendar day after the first day of classes up to and including the twenty-eighth calendar day after the first day of classes, a refund of 40% of the tuition paid by the student or for the student's account from private resources will be made. After that date no refund of tuition will be made except for medical reasons as noted below. The date of withdrawal shall be the date on which written notice is delivered to the Vice President for Business Affairs and Finance or the Dean of Students.

A pro-rata refund of unused board is allowed if withdrawal occurs prior to two weeks before the end of the semester.

During or after the first day of classes, there is no refund of room rent, activities fee, or technology fee. There is no refund of the tuition, room rent, or board for students who are suspended or expelled for disciplinary reasons.

For students whose withdrawal is certified as necessary by the College physician, a pro-rata refund of the tuition will be made until the middle of the semester.


Disbursements of institutional grants and loan funds and federal and state grants and loan funds are made in equal amounts each semester.


A graduating senior who has any outstanding financial obligations to the College (unpaid fees, disciplinary or library fine, lost library-book charge, etc.), or who has not completed his required Perkins, Stafford, Booker-Stebbins, or Teaching Loan exit counseling with the Financial Aid and Business Offices, may not receive his diploma at Commencement. He will be allowed to march in the Commencement exercises, but the diploma may be held in the Business Office until all obligations have been met. Transcripts will also be held until obligations have been met.

Seniors are reminded of this policy well in advance of Commencement. In addition, approximately two weeks before Commencement seniors with outstanding obligations are sent a notice specifying any obligations to be met; preparation of the notice is coordinated by the Business Office, in cooperation with other offices of the College.

It is the responsibility of each senior to make sure that all obligations are met in a timely manner. The deadline for payment of financial obligations is the close of business on the Friday preceding Commencement.


All students must have primary health insurance coverage. Students must check their present policy to ensure that they are covered currently and that coverage will continue concurrently with their attendance at Hampden-Sydney College. Students are responsible for all medical expenses except for those services received at the Student Health Center without charge.

Please note that no student may participate in any intercollegiate athletic program until valid and collectible primary health and accident insurance is verified. Proof of adequate insurance coverage must be provided by all students prior to participation on any intercollegiate team. This primary health and accident policy must remain in force during the entire period the student is participating in intercollegiate sports activities. Lapse of coverage will disallow participation in intercollegiate sports until the policy has been reinstated. Hampden-Sydney College does carry a supplemental, standard accident insurance policy for its intercollegiate athletes. However, please note that this supplemental accident policy is for accidents only, not illnesses or aggravated or other injuries which are not a direct result of an accident. For additional information concerning this coverage, contact the Head Athletic Trainer at (434) 223-6257. For the benefit of students who participate in approved intramural and club sports, the College provides Catastrophic Injury Insurance.


Students operating their personal vehicle or a borrowed vehicle while traveling on College business have primary insurance coverage under that vehicle's insurance policy. Only when a student drives a College-owned vehicle or a College-leased vehicle is coverage provided under the College's insurance. College insurance provides coverage for damages to the College's vehicle, a College-leased vehicle, and any other vehicles or property, should the student be held responsible for such damages.

Students planning to travel for the College should take into account these insurance provisions. Any questions regarding the vehicle insurance policy should be directed to the Controller in Cabell House.


College insurance does not cover losses of personal property (including motor vehicles) of students as a result of fire, theft, damage, etc. Therefore, parents, guardians, or students are urged to consider a floater on their insurance policy to cover such possessions.