Elliott Professor of Theater
Johns Auditorium, 101
B.A. Williams College;
M.F.A. - University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Shirley Kagan is in her eighteenth year of teaching theatre at Hampden-Sydney. Kagan is also an Associate Artist of Richmond Shakespeare. Her most recent involvement with the group was directing Omnium Gatherum for their Historical Play Reading Series in September, 2014.
- Directing and acting with particular interest in Beckett, Brecht, Pinter and Shakespeare. While at H-SC I have developed two courses that I particularly love: American History Through the Musical and The Theatre of Law.
- I also enjoy collaborative work with colleagues across the disciplines.
Committee Assignments & Service to the College
- Kagan has served on many of the college committees and is currently serving on the Faculty Affairs Committee and as Chair of the Department of Fine Arts.
- She is pleased to serve as the advisor to the Jongleurs student theatre group and as advisor to Alpha Psi Omega Honors Dramatic Fraternity.
Most Recent Professional Activity
- Text Coach for "Midsummer Night's Dream"Richmond Shakespeare Festival at Agecroft Hall
- presented paper "Thou Art thy Mother's Glass: Finding yourself in Shakespeare's Sonnets" Association of Core Texts and Courses
- presented the paper "Text on the Run: a production of the 39 Steps" at South Atlantic Modern Language Association Conference, November, 2013