Elliott Professor of Theater
Johns Auditorium, 201
B.A. Williams College;
M.F.A. - University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Shirley Kagan is in her nineteenth year of teaching theatre at Hampden-Sydney. Kagan is also an Associate Artist of Quill Theatre. Her most recent involvement with the group was acting as Gertrude in their summer festival production of Hamlet.
- Directing and acting with particular interest in Beckett, Brecht, Pinter and Shakespeare. While at H-SC I have developed two courses that I particularly love: American History Through the Musical and The Theatre of Law.
- I also enjoy collaborative work with colleagues across the disciplines.
Committee Assignments & Service to the College
- Kagan has served on many of the college committees and is currently serving on the Faculty Affairs Committee and as Chair of the Department of Fine Arts.
- She is pleased to serve as the advisor to the Jongleurs student theatre group and as advisor to Alpha Psi Omega Honors Dramatic Fraternity.
Most Recent Professional Activity
- Director for K-Dance Shorts production of Samuel Beckett's Rockaby, March 2015
- Director of Omnium Gatherum for Quill Theatre's Historical Reading Series, September 2014
- Text Coach for A Midsummer Night's Dream Richmond Shakespeare Festival at Agecroft Hall? 2014-06-12
- presented paper "Thou Art thy Mother's Glass: Finding yourself in Shakespeare's Sonnets" Association of Core Texts and Courses? Conference 2014-04-12