Event Planning Guide
When planning an event on the H-SC campus, please remember that it is the responsibility of the person sponsoring or hosting the event to make all arrangements in the following manner:
- DETERMINE IF YOU WANT THE PRESIDENT PRESENT AT YOUR EVENT TO SPEAK, HOST, OR ATTEND. If so, first contact the Executive Secretary to the President, Keary Mariannino X6110 and confirm a date that the President is available.
- RESERVE THE EVENT LOCATION(S) for the dinner, reception, lecture, meeting, accommodation, etc. with the online College Events Request Form, filled out in its entirety. An e-mail confirmation will be sent in return, if approved. All event requests must be approved by the Public Information Coordinator, Norma Kernodle X6300 before you contact B&G, Security and Police or Thompson Hospitality for their services. Also direct any questions about the online form or H-SC venues to the Public Information Services Coordinator. Please reserve tentative event locations prior to scheduling guests, visitors or speakers. All events open to the public are listed on the H-SC public calendar. All private events (dinners, accommodations, etc.) are listed on the administrative calendar. If you are H-SC faculty or staff, you have access to the administrative calendar. Simply choose the ADMIN calendar and select Administrative, you will be prompted to enter a user name and password. The user name must be hsc\emailid (example: hsc\scooke) and your personal password.
If you are holding an event at a private home, fraternity, club house, an athletic field, etc. and B&G, Security and Police and/or Thompson Hospitality are required, you still have to fill out a request form, allowing a 2-week notice for the event.
- SPECIFY B&G SETUP REQUIREMENTS at least 2 weeks prior to the event with Norma Kernodle X6300 (arrangement of tables, chairs, lectern, microphone, etc.) when making the calendar request or with Buildings & Grounds Office Manager, Sarah Tolley X6159. Check the Facility Capacities sheet from Buildings & Grounds.
- ORDER CATERED EVENT SELECTIONS for banquets and receptions at least 2 weeks prior to the event and 3 days in advance for coffee breaks with Thompson Hospitality. Please contact Thompson Hospitality at (434) 223-6251 or by e-mail at email@example.com. You must include a college account number, date, time and approximate guest count when the order is placed.
- ORDER NECESSARY AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT (LCD projectors, laptops, DVD players, screens, etc.) at least 2 weeks prior with the Fuqua Technology Commons (FTC) by contacting Brian Burns, Media Librarian X7225 or Mike Timma, Blackboard Administrator & Library Associate at X6292. The FTC is not contacted automatically when you submit the College Events Request Form. Please make sure you make contact with the FTC.
- ARRANGE TO PICK UP A KEY FOR THE BUILDING with Campus Police X6164 at the Security and Police Office located at Gilkeson House. You will be responsible for opening, locking back up, and returning the key to the Security and Police Office. You will not need to make arrangements for a key for events held in Settle Hall. Places like Parents and Friends Lounge and Crawley Forum are not always unlocked, even during the day, and Security and Police are not always readily available to unlock it for you, so please follow this procedure.
- REQUEST POSTERS, PHOTOGRAPHY AND PUBLICITY at least 15 working days prior to event with the Communications Office by submitting the Communications Services form. There is, however, no requirement that H-SC services be used if you prefer to do posters, publicity or photographs on your own. Events held in a College venue must be approved before a poster request is granted.
- BE AWARE THAT SAFETY AND SECURITY AT EVENTS ARE PARAMOUNT. Proper event management requires the H-SC Security and Police Department to determine appropriate police and security staffing based on many variables, such as crowd size of participants and audiences, parking, ticket sale cash receipts, availability and use of alcoholic beverages, weather, etc. The Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police makes decisions regarding police and security staffing. Event host organizations or groups initiate the College events request process and are encouraged to communicate with the Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police if there are any concerns about staffing level decisions. If any event requires an enhanced level of police and security staffing, then approximate security costs should be made known in advance to the hosting organization or group and the Business Office may bill the hosting organization or group. Most College events and activities - particularly, those that are smaller-sized and with no unusual circumstances - will not be billed. Enhanced security staffing should be expected for large events such as athletic championship contests and community-wide social events. For event staffing or additional information, please contact the Security and Police Department at X6164.
For assistance in planning your event, contact the Director of College Events at X6138.