At the heart of campus life is the student-run Honor System.
Event Planning Guide
When planning an event on the H-SC campus, please remember that it is the responsibility of the person sponsoring or hosting the event to make all arrangements in the following manner:
- RESERVE THE EVENT LOCATION(S) for the dinner, reception, lecture, meeting, accommodation, etc. with the online College Events Request Form. An e-mail confirmation will be sent in return, if approved. All event requests must be approved by the College Events Office before you contact B&G or Thompson Hospitality for their services. Also, please reserve tentative event locations prior to scheduling guests, visitors or speakers. Please direct any questions about the online form or H-SC venues to the College Events Assistant, Norma Kernodle X6114. All events open to the public are listed on the H-SC public calendar. All private events (dinners, accommodations, etc.) are listed on the administrative calendar. If you are H-SC faculty or staff, you have access to the administrative calendar. Simply choose the ADMIN calendar and select Administrative, you will be prompted to enter a user name and password. The user name must be hsc\emailid (example: hsc\scooke) and your personal password.
If you are holding an event at a private home, fraternity, club house, an athletic field, etc. and B&G and/or Thompson Hospitality are required, you still have to fill out a request form and allow a 2-week notice.
- SPECIFY B&G SETUP REQUIREMENTS at least 2 weeks prior to the event with Norma Kernodle X6114 (tables, chairs, lectern, microphone, etc.) when making the calendar request or with Buildings & Grounds Office Manager, Sarah Tolley X6159. Check the Facility Capacities sheet from Buildings & Grounds.
- ORDER CATERED EVENT SELECTIONS for banquets and receptions at least 2 weeks prior to the event and 3 days in advance for coffee breaks with Thompson Hospitality.
Please contact Thompson Hospitality at 434-223-6251 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a college account number, date, time and approximate guest count when the order is placed.
- ORDER NECESSARY AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT (LCD projectors, laptops, DVD players, screens, etc.) at least 2 weeks prior with the FICC by contacting Brian Burns, Media Librarian X7225 or Mike Timma, Associate in Media and Instructional Technology at X6293.
- ARRANGE TO PICK UP A KEY FOR THE BUILDING with Campus Security X6164 at the Security Office located at Gilkeson House. You will be responsible for opening, locking back up, and returning the key to Campus Security. You will not need to make arrangements for a key for events held in Settle Hall. Places like Parents and Friends Lounge and Crawley Forum are not always unlocked, even during the day, and security is not always readily available to unlock it for you, so please follow this procedure.
- REQUEST POSTERS, PHOTOGRAPHY AND PUBLICITY at least 15 working days prior to event with the Communications Office by submitting the Communications Services form. There is, however, no requirement that H-SC services be used if you prefer to do posters, publicity or photographs on your own.
- DETERMINE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST THE PRESIDENT to attend, speak and/or host an event. Please contact Karen Montgomery X6110 for availability.
For assistance in planning your event, contact the Director of College Events, Sandy Cooke X6138.