Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Now serving as the College's Administration building, housing Offices of the President, the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, Institutional Research, and the Registrar, Atkinson Hall was built in 1834 as a dwelling. The reflector on the west chimney is the only survivor of the two arc lamp spotlights which lit the campus in the 1920's. Atkinson Hall is named for P.T. Atkinson 1907, who was treasurer of the College from 1919 to 1957. Mrs. P.T. Atkinson, his widow, was founder of the Museum and its curator until her death in 1994 at age 99.
Of particular note in the yard of Atkinson is a mounting block which belonged to William Henry Harrison 1791. It is located on the front lawn and was sent to us from his residence at North Bend, Ohio, where he lived after 1814. The block was used by Mrs. Harrison as a stepping stone for getting in and out of her carriage. Atkinson Hall was renovated in 1995.