Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Bagby Hall was named for Dr. John Hampden Chamberlayne Bagby, professor of physical sciences (later Physics) 1892-1934. Bagby Hall was the first structure on the campus which was wired for electricity when constructed. Originally built as the science building, it now houses the departments of Mathematics, Modern Languages, Psychology, and Social Sciences, and the Academic Success and Career Development Offices. The stairtowers at each end were added when Bagby was renovated in 1992.
Bagby is adorned with Block and Cluster Dentil molding. It is doubtful if such pains have been taken since with any science building. There is leaded glass above the main doors to the building. The lintels (solid pieces above the windows) are all different.
Note that there are three separate batches of brick, of slightly different colors. The design known as "ribboning" is employed (vertical bricks) as well as English Bond (alternating rows of headers and stretchers).