Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Graham Hall has served many purposes: president's home, gymnasium, alumni lounge, infirmary, and dormitory. It now houses the Admissions Office, Post Office, Bookstore (renovated 2004), and the H-SC Coffee House (2005).
The fund-raising campaign conducted by Jonathan Cushing for the building of New College was so successful that he managed not only to build that building, but also a new house for himself, now Graham Hall's north section. Built in 1833, this house was according to legend constructed partly with bricks and timbers from the Old College building of 1776. It is interesting to note that President Cushing waited until the funds had been secured for the building of New College and the front part of the Alamo before he began building his own house.
Graham is constructed in Flemish bond brick-work. In 1979 it was completely gutted and remodeled. The main stairs of the porch used to be of wood and led directly down from the door. Now those stairs come in from the side and are made of single blocks of Canadian granite. Graham has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark.
Henry Tucker Graham Gymnasium (southern extension of Graham Hall) was built in 1916 and named for H. T. Graham 1886, President from 1909 to 1917. Its simple design and brick pilasters were designed as an inexpensive complement to the College's standard architectural style. The bricks for this building, like all those that predated it, were made in kilns beside Lake Chalgrove. It was the last building on campus built of homemade bricks.