Kirk Athletic Center


Kirk Athletic Center

1941, 2008
207 College Road
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
(434) 223-6151


The Kirk Athletic Center comprises the completely renovated Gammon Gymnasium and two new wings. It is the home of all field sports - football, soccer, lacrosse and baseball - as well as cross country, tennis and golf. The Kirk Center was completed and dedicated in the Fall of 2008, and the new additions have provided Hampden-Sydney athletics with some great new improvements. Among the additions are four brand new locker rooms, a new training room - roughly three times the size of the old training room - a renovated basketball court, new offices for coaches and administrators, interactive hall of fame gallery, classrooms and a renovated weight room. Now for the first time, each sport has its own locker room, each with direct access to the exterior.

 The gym is heated and air conditioned with auditorium type seating for 500. In addition the gym is acoustically correct and the maple floor has been restored to its former grandeur. The LeHew Hall of Fame Gallery was dedicated in October 2008 showcasing new plaques and state-of-the-art visual presentations.

Gammon GymnasiumGammon Gymnasium, built in 1941, was the first independent athletics building at Hampden-Sydney College. The entry wing facing College Road, containing offices and other amenities, was in the original plan but was not built until 1955.

Gammon was built to relieve the overcrowded gym in Graham Hall. Overcrowded itself, Gammon was joined in 1979 by a new field house and is now used as headquarters for the baseball and football teams as well as the Abels Fitness Center. The building's namesake, Edgar G. Gammon 1904, was president of the College from 1939-1955.

In recognition of the generosity of Bill and Shireen Kirk of Roanoke, VA, Hampden-Sydney College named the new complex that includes Gammon Gymnasium and its additions and renovations the Kirk Athletic Center in 2008. The Kirk gift was the first and is the the largest of the several substantial gifts received for the $8 million project.