1880, 1939, 1962
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
The last seminary structure built before the Seminary's move to Richmond, Winston Hall became the Brown Memorial Library in 1898. The rear portion was added in 1935. It is now named for Dr. J. H. C. Winston 1894, professor of Chemistry and, until 1989, holder of the record for longevity at Hampden-Sydney - Winston taught for 50 years, 1899-1949. (Dr. Graves Thompson exceeded that record, having taught at the College fifty-four years, 1939-1993.)
Winston Hall caught fire in 1941 and the front portion of the building was destroyed. That part of the structure stood in ruins until 1950 (there were no men or monies to rebuild it during World War II), when it was rebuilt; in 1961 it became the College dining hall or "Commons" until the New Dining Hall (Settle Hall) was finished in 1991. The main floor is currently used for social gatherings. The third floor of Winston houses Hampden-Sydney's Metcalf Music Center and the second floor houses the department of Studio Arts. The Communications Office occupies the ground floor.
Winston is built using common bond brick-work; only "stretchers" are used. Very fine mortaring is seen on this building. If one compares this work with that of other buildings, one will find a striking difference in the thickness and preciseness of the mortar work. The building is also adorned with inset brickwork and quoining (exterior angle of a wall or other masonry).