Apply for Aid
Applying for financial aid to Hampden-Sydney College can be simple if you follow the
Checklist for 2015-2016*:
- For prospective freshmen and transfers, apply for Admission and academic scholarships – all in one! There is no separate application for Hampden-Sydney College academic scholarships. For more information about the Admissions application process, go to Admission and Applications.
- For all students who want to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid (need-based College grants and all federal aid, including grants and loans): Complete the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If this is your first time completing a FAFSA, to expedite the process, obtain Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) for the student and one parent who will provide data on the FAFSA by going to www.pin.ed.gov. Complete the FAFSA as soon after January 1, 2015 as possible, but no later than March 1 for prospective students and by no later than May 15 for returning students. The FAFSA online application is available at www.fafsa.gov and Hampden-Sydney’s code is 003713. Use estimated tax information if necessary in order to meet the priority filing dates.
- Follow up with any necessary paperwork and forms. If your FAFSA is selected by the federal government for verification or there are any additional documents we need to finalize your financial aid, you will be notified by our office with specific directions on what to do and/or what to submit. Be sure to follow all directions very carefully as soon as possible so we can complete the review and finalize your financial aid.
- Receive and review your financial aid award letter package. As long as you have been accepted as an incoming student for the 2015-2016 academic year or are a returning student in good academic standing as of the end of the spring 2015 semester, our office has received your signed and completed FAFSA data, and you have followed up on any requests for additional information, we will send an award letter package beginning in early March to prospective students and by mid-June to returning students. The award letter will outline all the financial aid we are offering you (a combination of scholarships, grants, student loans and/or work-study) and any additional steps you need to take to finalize your financial aid.
- Let us know about any special circumstances you and your family may face. We realize some families have extenuating circumstances that make it difficult to pay for college. Extenuating circumstances may include separation, divorce, death, disability, unemployment, change in family’s income reported on original applications, or medical issues. If you have not yet made us aware of such circumstances in your family, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with a brief description of the circumstances and our office will follow up with you within five business days regarding any additional information needed.
- Need help? Contact us! The Financial Aid Office at Hampden-Sydney College is always willing to assist with any questions you may have. We encourage you to visit our web site for more detailed information regarding our aid programs, tips and hints on how to look for resources outside H-SC, and current year tuition and cost information – Financial Aid. We can also be reached Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm at (434) 223-6119 for by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you are a current 2014-2015 student who is seeking additional financial aid and has not already completed the FAFSA this year, or a student accepted beginning with the spring 2015 semester, please complete the current year 2014-2015 FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. The Financial Aid Office will follow up with you within two weeks of receiving your processed FAFSA information.
Applying for Aid (pdf)