How to Apply for Federal Direct PLUS Loans
Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent Borrower)
- To begin your loan process, Click the button:
- This will open a new window where you will SIGN onto www.studentloans.gov using the [parent] FAFSA PIN.
- If you do not have a PIN, log onto www.pin.ed.gov and choose Apply for a PIN.
- If you have misplaced or forgotten your PIN, choose Request a Duplicate PIN.
- Click on the option in the middle of the page that says Request a Direct PLUS Loan and provide all information requested.
- When determining the amount of a PLUS loan to request, please factor in the 4.00% fee that will be deducted by the federal government. For example, if you will need $10,000 to cover your balance due, you will want to request $10,416 ($10,000 divided by .96, dropping the cents). Our office will import the electronic request and will certify the PLUS loan for the amount requested (not to exceed the total cost of education less other financial aid eligibility).
- If you are credit approved for this loan, you will then be prompted to Complete Master Promissory Note if there is not already one on file for you with the federal government. The credit check decision is good for 90 days.
- If you are not credit approved for this loan, the following options are available:
- You may appeal the credit decision by calling the Direct Loan Customer Service Center,1-800-557-7394. OR
- You may pursue this loan by obtaining a credit-worthy endorser. Your endorser will need a PIN, www.pin.ed.gov, to complete this process on-line. Be sure to provide the loan reference number. OR
- The student may borrow a supplemental unsubsidized federal Direct Stafford Loan (up to $4,000 for freshmen/sophomores or up to $5,000 for juniors/seniors).
- Should you choose this option, the Supplemental Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Request Form can be downloaded from www.hsc.edu/Financial-Aid/Forms-for-Financial-Aid.html and
vmailed to: Hampden-Sydney College, Financial Aid Office, P. O. Box 726, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943, OR
faxed to: 434-223-6075.
- Or, you may contact the Financial Aid Office by phone, 434-223-6119, or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will send the Supplemental Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Request Form to you.