How to Apply for Federal Direct Stafford Loans
Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Student Borrowers)
A first time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrower must complete the on-line Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form, on-line Entrance Counseling, and the on-line Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Use your FSA ID (or Username/Password) to complete entrance counseling and electronically sign the MPN at studentloans.gov. If you do not have an FSA ID, go to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm and click on "Create An FSA ID".
- To begin your loan process, Click the button:
- Click on the LOG IN button and enter your FSA ID (or Username/Password)
- Select Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)
- Select MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, then click START and provide all requested information.
- Be sure to SIGN & SUBMIT so your master promissory note will be recorded.
- Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form link will redirect you to the TigerWeb. With a successful login, you will be able to complete the Request Form as instructed
- Refer to your financial aid award letter (not your billing statement) for the TOTAL (last column) amount of the subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans you are eligible to borrow.
If you are a first-time borrower, Federal regulations require that loan counseling be completed before loan funds can be applied to your tuition account in the Business Office.