International Students

New International Students 

We look forward to meeting you soon! Both the International Student Orientation and New Student Orientation are mandatory for all new International students. The International Student Orientation begins two days earlier than the orientation for all new students and is designed to address concerns specific to International students. During these two days, the college will provide you with important information about maintaining your visa status, campus employment oppotunities, and other issues related to living and studying at Hampden-Sydney College.

International Student Handbook

Prospective International Students: Apply now

Department of State Visa Home Page
For more information please contact the Office of Global Education. Phone number (434) 223-6311

Current International Students

You have joined an elite group of men to study at this highly-ranked institution. Founded in 1775, the College is rich in history and heritage and is the 10th oldest college in the United States. We hope that you enjoy your time here.  This site is set up to help you obtain information about international student on-campus activities and groups, Student Visas, employment and other immigration issues and policies.

For comprehensive information regarding being an International Student at Hampden-Sydney college, please refer to the International Student Handbook. For your convenience, answers to frequently asked questions are listed below.

Questions about Tuition or other School Fees

Admissions Office

Graham Hall, Second Floor
Contact: Jason Ferguson, Director of Admissions
Phone: (434) 223-6327

Business Office
Cabell House
Contact: Marianne Catron, Student Accounts Manager
Phone: (434) 223-6223

Financial Aid Office
Bush House, 001
Contact: Zita Barree, Director of Financial Aid
Phone: (434) 223-6265

Legal Information

Information about F-1 Visas
F-1 students must take a full-time course load at the college. I-20 forms will be issued to students wishing to apply for an F-1 visa and must remain current.

Mandatory Insurance
International students on non-immigrant visas (such ast the F-1 visa) are required to purchase a Mandatory International Plan offered by the College, unless proof of comparable coverage is submitted.  Students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the College insurance.

Working while a student
As a student in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, students may not work on campus more than 20 hours a week when college is in session.  To work on campus students must obtain a social security number.  Students with F-1 visas are not allowed to work off campus.

Where to look for on campus job openings

  • Human Resources Office
  • Check with professors directly
  • Ask around the different College offices

Documents Required for Employment

  • Employment application (available from Human Resources Office)
  • Social Security card (see Human Resources Office for procedures)
  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (distributed by Human Resources)
  • W-4 Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
  • State Tax Withholding Certificate (distributed by Human Resources)
  • I-94 Card
  • SEVIS I-20
  • Passport

Maintaining your legal status while enrolled at Hampden-Sydney College

  • Students must maintain full-time enrollment with a minimum of 12 hours; a reduced course load is permitted in special cases.  Contact the Office of Global Education for more information.
  • Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Hold a valid I-20 form and passport at all times while in the U.S.

Travel outside of the United States and reentry

  • Obtain travel endorsement on I-20 from Office of Global Education before leaving the United States.
  • Obtain visa to destination country if necessary.
  • Have valid U.S. visa in passport at the time of re-entry.

Extension of stay

  • Students may obtain an extension if more time is needed to finish their program of study or start a new program.
  • Request an extension of your I-20 before your current I-20 expires.

Lost or Stolen Visas
It is important to contact your country's embassy immediately if you suspect that your passport has been lost or stolen.

Renewing Your Passport
An international passport can be renewed in the U.S. through the Embassy of your country of citizenship.

Other Useful Information

Help with Rhetoric- Contact Dr. Schooling

International Student Handbook

International Club Website

ISI's Mental Health Awareness for International Students Video

ISI's Sexual Assault Awareness for International Students Video

Last updated: September 20, 2016