Semesters Abroad

If you'd like to read about what your fellow students are doing while abroad, visit our Tigers Abroad blog.

Studying Abroad During the Academic Year (FALL/SPRING)

Hampden-Sydney students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and have earned at least 45 credit hours. Students meeting these requirements typically study abroad during their junior year. Students wishing to study abroad in the spring of their sophomore year of fall of their senior year must first seek a waiver.

The Dean of Students reviews the disciplinary records of all study abroad applicants. Students may apply to study abroad while currently under probation, as long as their sanctions will be completed before their program begins. Students with problematic disciplinary histories might not be approved to study abroad, whether they are currently on probation or not.

Additionally, students must be in good disciplinary standing at time of departure. Students placed on disciplinary probation after being approved to study abroad will have that approval revoked.  Students will be responsible for all non-refundable fees owed to the study abroad program and Hampden-Sydney College.  

Each program will have its own eligibility requirements students must meet.  

In all courses, students must receive a grade of C or better in each course to earn H-SC transfer credit. However, these grades will not be computed as part of the GPA. Grades of C- or lower will not transfer. 

Where Can I Study Abroad? 

Hampden-Sydney College offers a variety of opportunities for students who wish to study abroad for a semester or a full year. H-SC approves over 100 foreign study programs in 30 countries students; see the Endorsed Programs list for programs students to which approved students are eligible to apply. The courses are varied and allow you to earn credit hours that apply to your graduation requirements. The Office of Global Education & Study Abroad has a variety of catalogs and brochures, or you can do your own research via the weblinks provided on the Endorsed Programs page.


How do I apply?

H-SC Application Deadlines:

  • February 15 for fall and year-long programs
  • September 15 for spring programs.

Your application includes the following items which are to be submitted to the Office of Global Education & Study Abroad by the above deadlines.

  • Permission to Apply Form:  This is an H-SC form only and will not be forwarded to the host provider or foreign institution. 
  • Unofficial Transcript: Using your H-SC ID and password, print out from TigerWeb an unofficial transcript for the Office of Global Education & Study Abroad. 
  • Letter requesting a Waiver. If applicable, include a request to waive the senior residency requirement or to go abroad during the spring semester of your sophomore year.