Hiring Protocol Policy
Creation or Alteration of Positions:
- Requests for new positions are to be submitted to the Director of Human Resources. Requests should include justification and a draft job description.
- New positions (full or part-time) cannot be created without approval from the Board of Trustees
- Part-time positions may not be converted to full-time positions without approval from the Board of Trustees.
- Temporary positions require the approval of the appropriate member of the Senior Cabinet.
- All positions must have a graded job description prior to beginning the hiring process.
Steps to filling a Position:
- When a vacancy occurs, the supervisor must immediately contact the Director of Human Resources. If applicable, a letter of resignation is required.
- A review of the job description is required. If changes are made, the job description may be reviewed by the Employee Relations Committee to ensure that the salary grade level is appropriate.
- The supervisor and the Human Resources Assistant will work together to create a job advertisement. The final draft must be approved by the Director of Human Resources.
- All job advertisements will contain a cut-off date, and no position will be filled prior to that date. Applications received after the cut-off date will not be considered unless the position is reopened for further advertising.
- All positions will be advertised on campus. All internal applicants who meet the minimum requirements for the position will be interviewed.
- The supervisor and the Human Resources Assistant will work together to determine the best placement of the advertisement externally, if applicable.
- All applications are received by the Human Resources Office. After the cut-off date has expired, supervisors will be given the applications to review and begin the selection process.
- Interviews may be conducted by the supervisor only, by the supervisor in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources, or by an officially constituted search committee.
- Search committees are comprised of faculty and/or staff members that have been recommended by the supervisor and approved by the appropriate member of the Senior Cabinet.
- All internal applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for the position must be interviewed using similar guidelines and procedures as those used for external applicants.
- When a hiring decision has been reached, the supervisor will notify the Director of Human Resources and a salary will be established. The Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer must approve all salary offers prior to the offer being made.
- Verbal job offers are to be made by the supervisor or the Director of Human Resources. Once a position is offered and has been accepted, the applicant will be required to sign a Release Authorization for a background investigation.
- A completed Hampden-Sydney College employment application or resume, and a signed Consent Document must be submitted to the Human Resources Assistant.
- Once a successful background investigation has been completed a Salary Agreement Letter will be issued by the Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer.
- The supervisor is responsible for checking personal references.
The supervisor should return all applications to the Human Resources Assistant after a verbal offer has been made to the candidate. Rejection letters will be sent by the Human Resources Assistant.