NSSE Level of Academic Challenge (LAC)
NSSE questions that address the Level of Academic Challenge (LAC) include the following:
- Preparing for class (studying, reading, writing, rehearsing, etc. related to academic program).
- Number of assigned textbooks, books, or book-length packs of course readings.
- Number of written papers or reports of 20 pages or more, number of written papers or reports between 5 and 19 pages, and number of written papers or reports of fewer than 5 pages.
- Coursework emphasizing analysis of the basic elements of an idea, experience or theory.
- Coursework emphasizing synthesis and organizing of ideas, information, or experiences into new, more complex interpretations and relationships.
- Coursework emphasizing the making of judgments about the value of information, arguments, or methods.
- Coursework emphasizing application of theories or concepts to practical problems or in new situations.
- Working harder than you thought you could to meet an instructor's standards or expectations.
- Campus environment emphasizing time studying and on academic work.
Return to previous page