Contact us at:
The Esther Thomas
Atkinson Museum of
PO Box 745
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Phone (434) 223-6134
Fax (434) 223-6344
Tuesday through Friday,
10:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 5:00.
Open late on Game days.
Half of Hampden-Sydney graduates attend graduate school within five years.
MissionThe Esther Thomas Atkinson Museum is a non-profit organization, which operates under the auspices of Hampden-Sydney College. The Museum is administered by an Advisory Board and the Office of the President of the College. The Director/Curator is responsible to the President of the College and reports to the Vice President for Administration for on-going operational purposes.
The Esther Thomas Atkinson Museum supports the College's mission to form good men and good citizens in an atmosphere of sound learning by collecting, preserving and interpreting objects that enhance the College's educational offerings and promotes the history of the College and its roll in the history of Virginia and our nation.
The Museum achieves its mission by:
- Acquiring relevant objects related to the College curriculum, the history of the College and the region
- Presenting exhibitions and programs that provide a broader understanding of the curriculum, as well as important issues facing the community and the world
- Contributing to the life of the College and nearby community by providing an important cultural and historic resource
- Functioning as the steward for the College's permanent Collections by overseeing its care
- Providing study and research opportunities for faculty and students