Orientation FAQ

  • When is Orientation?
    Orientation starts on Friday, August 19th beginning with New Student Matriculation from 9:00 -11:30 am in Bortz Library. Full Schedule
  • Where and when can I check in?
    New Student Matriculation is located in the Bortz Library from 9:00 -11:30 am.
  • Can I come early or arrive late?
    Arriving early or late is not an option unless approved by the Office of Student Affairs. If you have extenuating circumstances please contact the Office of Student Affairs at (434) 223-6128.
  • Do I need to bring anything with me?
    You will be moving in to your room the first day of Orientation so you should bring everything that you are moving in. In addition to this, you should bring the following for the first day of Orientation: a pen, your vehicle registration and license plate number for parking passes, coat and tie for the honor ceremony and an umbrella in case of rain.   
  • Are freshmen allowed to bring cars to campus?
    Yes, all students are permitted to bring a car to campus. You must register your vehicle within 48 hours after it is brought to campus. The Parking Permit/Registration Fee is $270/year.
  • Is participation required? 
    Yes. New Student Orientation is a critical part of your transition to college; it enhances both your academic and social integration and is required for all new students.
  • When do classes begin?
    Classes begin on Wednesday, August 24th at 8:30 A.M.
  • Where can I ask for more information? 
    For general questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at (434)223-6128.  Any specific question should be directed to Dean Hakeem Croom at hcroom@hsc.edu or (434) 223-6384.

Campus Life

  • Where do I find information on Hampden-Sydney College regulations governing students?
    Read about the Student Justice System in The Key: Student Handbook
  • What is the Honor Code?
    The honor code is a commitment to not advance one's own interests by underhanded or illegal means. Read more about the Honor Code
  • I am feeling anxious and concerned about my transition into college. Who can I talk to?
    Hampden-Sydney has a Counseling Center that wants to help you!
  • Where will I be living while I am a student at HSC?
    View the New Student Housing
  • Do I have to live on campus?
    Generally, yes; for more infomation please read our Housing FAQ
  • If I join a fraternity, do I still have to live on campus?
    Generally, yes; for more infomation please read our Housing FAQ
  • If I'm married, do I have to live in a residence hall?
    Housing FAQ
  • Is a parking pass needed to park on campus?
    Yes, you can register it online. The fee for 2016-2017 is $270/year. Read more about Vehicle Registration
  • Can students park anywhere on campus?
    No, there are Vehicle Regulations
  • If I am loading or unloading heavy items on campus, where can I park?
    See Vehicle Regulations 
  • Can I use the Fitness Center, Kirby Pool, Wellness Center and other offices at the College?
    Yes, they have convenient Hours of Operation.
  • Are there clubs and organizations at H-SC?
    Check out our lists of clubs and organizations!
  • Where can I learn more about campus life and the surrounding area?
    There are plenty of restaurants and other attractions in the local area. Plan your visit.

Career Education & Services

Communications and Technology

  • Do I have to have a computer at Hampden-Sydney College?
    No, the College has computer labs in the Fuqua Computing Center located in the Bortz Library, and other buildings that you may use. However, many students think it is worthwhile to have a personal computer on campus.
  • Do I have a Hampden-Sydney College e-mail account? Must I use it?
    You need to know that the College employs your Hampden-Sydney College email account and your Hampden-Sydney College post office box to communicate critical College information about which you should know and for which you are held responsible. You should develop the habit of checking each at least daily.
  • What is my e-mail address and password?
    Your e-mail address and password will be mailed to you in Dec (for spring) or June (for fall). For more information about your H-SC email and password, contact the Computing Center at (434) 223-6373.
  • Can I forward my H-SC e-mail to another account or browser?
    Yes, under "Preferences" in H-SC Webmail, there is an option called "Forward to"
  • What do I do if I cannot log into Canvas/Webmail/Tiger Web?
    Contact the Computing Center at (434) 223-6373.
  • Is there going to be a television in my room on campus?
    While the College does not furnish rooms with televisions you are welcome to bring your own. Every residence hall room is wired for cable television. All televisions will receive channels 2 through 68. Premium channels packages are available through Shentel, our cable signal provider. 
  • Do I have an on-campus phone number?
    While you are not furnished with a on-campus phone and phone number, you may request one by contacting the Computing Center at (434) 223-6373. 
  • What is the policy if I must miss a class or will have an extended absence?
    The Dean of the Faculty has information on the College's attendance policies.