Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
97% of full professors hold doctorates.
- When is Orientation? Orientation starts at 8:30 A.M at Crawley Forum.
- Where and when can I check in? Students must check in at Crawley Forum from 8:30 A.M. to 11:30 A.M.
- Can I come early or arrive late? Arriving early or late is not an option unless approved by the Dean of Students Office. If you have extenuating circumstances please contact the Dean of Students Office at (434) 223-6128.
- Do I need to bring anything with me? You will be moving in to your room the first day of Orientation so you should bring everything that you are moving in. In addition to this, you should bring the following for the first day of Orientation: a pen, their vehicle registration and license plate number for parking passes, Coat and Tie for the honor ceremony and an umbrella in case of rain.
- Are freshmen allowed to bring cars to campus? Yes, all students are permitted to bring a car to campus. You must register your vehicle within 48 hours after it is brought to campus. The Parking Permit/Registration Fee is $210.
- Is participation required? Participation in Orientation is required for all new students.
- When do classes begin? Classes begin on Wednesday, August 24th at 8:30 A.M.
- Where can I ask for more information? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions. Any specific question should go to Dean Mladen Cvijanovic at email@example.com or (434) 223-6040.
- Where do I find information on Hampden-Sydney College regulations governing students? Please click here to read the section called the Student Justice System in The Key
- What is the Honor Code? The honor code is a commitment to not advance one's own interests by underhanded or illegal means. Read more about the Honor Code here
- I am feeling anxious, depressed, and concerned that I can't hack college, to whom can I turn? Hampden-Sydney has a Counseling Center that wants to help you!
- Where will I be living while I am a student at HSC? There is new Student Housing
- Do I have to live on campus? Generally, yes for more infomation please read our Housing FAQ
- What if I join a fraternity, do I still have to live on campus? Generally, yes for more infomation please read our Housing FAQ
- I'm married, do I have to live in a residence hall? Housing FAQ
- Is a parking pass needed to park on campus? Yes, you can register it online. The fee for 2011-2012 is $210. Read more about Vehicle Registration
- Can students park anywhere on campus? No, there are Vehicle Regulations
- If I am loading or unloading heavy items on campus, where can I park? Vehicle Regulations from The Key
- Can I transfer my parking decal to another vehicle? Vehicle Registration
- If my car breaks down what should I do if I need to drive another vehicle? Vehicle Registration
- If I break my ankle or in some other way become temporarily disabled, how can I obtain a temporary handicapped parking pass? Motor Vehicles
- Can I use the Gammon Gym, Kirby Pool, Moore Health Center and other offices at the College? Yes, they have convenient Hours of Operation.
- Are there clubs and organizations for me to join at HSC? There are many clubs and organizations!
- Where can I learn more about campus life and the surrounding area? There are plenty of restaurants and other attractions in the local area.
- What services are offered on campus with respect to my future career? Career Development
- How and when can I access those services? Career Development
- Who do I talk with about Career Development? Career Development Staff
- When should I start looking for an internship? How To Search For Opportunities
- How do I learn of company/career information events on campus? Career Development Calendar
- What can I do now as an underclassman to get ready for life after college? Develop Your Four Year Plan
- I've taken the Self Directed Search Interest Inventory, where can I learn more about the types of jobs I may be interested in? http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm
- Are there any events on campus where I can meet alumni and discuss summer jobs or career interests? Career Development Services
- Do I have to have a computer at Hampden-Sydney College? No, the College has computer labs in the Computing Center, Bortz Library, and other buildings that you may use. However, many students think it is worthwhile to have a personal computer on campus.
- Do I have a Hampden-Sydney College e-mail account? Must I use it? You need to know that the College employs your Hampden-Sydney College email account and your Hampden-Sydney College post office box to communicate critical College information about which you should know and for which you are held responsible. You should develop the habit of checking each at least daily.
- What is my e-mail address and password? Your e-mail address and password will be mailed to you in June. For more information about your H-SC email and password, contact the Computing Center at (434) 223-6373.
- Can I forward my H-SC e-mail to another account or browser? Yes, under "Preferences" in H-SC Webmail, there is an option called "Forward to"
- What do I do if I cannot log into Blackboard/Webmail/Tiger Web? Contact the Computing Center at (434) 223-6373.
- Is there going to be a television in my room on campus? While the College does not furnish rooms with televisions you are welcome to bring your own. Every residence hall room is wired for cable television. All televisions will receive channels 2 through 68. Premium channels packages are available through Jet Broadband, our cable signal provider.
- Do I have an on-campus phone number? While you are not furnished with a on-campus phone and phone number, you may request one by contacting the computing center at (434) 223-6373.
- What is the policy if I must miss a class or will have an extended absence? The Dean of the Faculty has information on the College's attendance policies.