Frequently Asked Housing Questions

When do I sign up for housing?
The sign up period for housing will be posted in January. All upper class housing is contingent on a student registering for Fall courses.  Following is a general schedule:

  • Fraternities -- Mid-February
  • Resident Advisors -- January - Mid-February
  • Specialty (College owned cottages, apartments and Traditional off-campus) -- Late February - Early March
  • Specialty (Sophomore, Theme and Office Assignment) -- Late February - Early March
  • Regular -- Late March - Early April
  • Incoming Freshmen -- A post card containing new student housing information and a Housing Questionnaire link will be mailed to deposited new students from the Office of Student Affairs in mid-May.  New in 2014:  New students will be asked to read and agree to the H-SC housing terms when completing the Housing Questionnaire.  When your housing/roommate assignment is made you may be able to access this information in mid-July online through the Tiger Web Student Life tab.

What if I want to live off campus?
Only students who qualify as rising Seniors are eligible to compete for an off campus arrangement. Hampden-Sydney College is a residential college and as such the opportunity to live outside of College-owned housing is limited to 32 students. There is also a waiting list which is established and is based on the same selection criteria.  Students on the waitlist are not guaranteed an off campus slot.
Students who wish to live off campus should not sign a lease until after competing for and earning one of the off campus positions. Students will not be permitted to live outside of College housing based on previous lease agreements or prior year awards.
Special exemptions will be considered by the Office of Student Affairs in conjunction with the Housing Committee. Any Student interested in making the case for a special exemption should complete and submit a Request for Special Housing Policy Exemption (and required Medical information form if it applies) to the Office of Student Affairs by the posted deadline. Late requests can not be accepted due to this time-sensitive information being uploaded into the online agreement signing data.  Students who wish to commute from their parents home  should submit a Student Commuter Status Housing Request by the posted deadline.  New students should indicate on their Housing Questionnairre if they wish to commute from their parents home, complete this form and contact our office at 434-223-6317 by June 1.

What type rooms are available at Hampden-Sydney?
College housing consists of either double or single bedrooms for new students in residence halls.   Some double and single apartment bedrooms are available for selection by upperclassmen.  All students in double rooms should be aware that the College reserves the right to place another student in the room should a vacancy become available in a double room.  Students may not secure a double room by themselves without a roommate during selections or throughout the semester.  Students are encouraged to fill the vacancy in their rooms with a roommate of their choosing by contacting the Office of Student Affairs to avoid a random assignment. 

How do I sign up for housing?
Returning students can participate in our room choosing process online. Selection times are based on academic standing within each class. That is to say that rising Seniors with the highest grade point average will have the earliest selection times. The process will then move through each class in the same manner.
Specialty Housing, for Traditional Off Campus, College owned cottages and apartments, is conducted online within one month prior to regular room choosing. Sophomore and Theme selections are conducted in February and are paper based applications. Forms are available online during the selection process in February.  Office Assignment online housing agreements are also signed during this process. Students requesting fifth year senior status,(transscript providing proof required) commuting students, special exemption to the housing policy or students on rosters to living in a theme house for the 2nd year must contact the Office of Student Affairs by the posted deadline during this process.  Late requests can not be accepted due to this time-sensitive information being uploaded into the online agreement signing data.

If I plan on studying abroad next year how does that affect my housing?
If you have definite plans to study abroad and are working with the Office of International Studies you will not need to sign up for housing. For students who will be abroad for the Fall Semester please plan on contacting the Office of Student Affairs before December 10th to discuss your housing options (434-223-6317). Room assignments cannot be held for a student who will not be in attendance.  Students who plan to study abroad for the Spring Semester should compete for Fall housing. Those students who plan to study abroad for the entire academic year do not compete for housing until the second semester of their year abroad at which time they will need to contact the Office of Student Affairs to discuss available options.
If a student is unsure of his study abroad commitment he should compete for housing and assume he will be on campus for the remainder of the year. Remember, once your selection time passes your options will diminish quickly so make your selection early.  The student should contact our office as soon as he confirms his plans.  Rooms will not be held through the Fall semester for students studying abroad.

What if I'm in a fraternity?
Each fraternity is obligated to fill its beds.  Fraternity house managers will submit housing rosters for the upcoming year. Each fraternity will be required to fill each bed with eligible members and provide a list of no fewer than 3 alternates. The alternates must agree that they will live in the house in the event of a vacancy.  Each student contemplating living in a fraternity house is urged to discuss this with their parents before committing to living there.
Rosters are submitted to the Office of Student Affairs ( and each resident on the roster must sign an online housing agreement.  Each fraternity must have an appointed House Manager who will reside in the house during the full academic year.  The President in office in the Fall of the year must live in the house for the academic year.

What should I do if I want to live in a single room?
Hampden-Sydney College has a limited number of single occupancy rooms. All housing is based on seniority within each class and as such housing is first come, first served. If no single rooms are available when you sign up for housing you should sign an online TBA (to be assigned) housing agreement. Your name will be added to a waiting list.  All student on the TBA list are guaranteed a room on campus and assignment notification will be sent to you during the summer months.

Do single rooms cost more to live in?
Yes, single occupancy bedroom rent is more expensive.  Estimated charges including technology fees will be posted on the Housing Selection calendar when available.  The Financial Aid website will post the final charges in late summer on the Tuition and Fees page. College-owned apartments and cottage bedrooms also carry an increased rate.

What is the College policy for married students?
Married students who live with their spouses and seek on-campus housing must make arrangements for housing through the Office of Student Affairs.  This should be done in February for current students and a request indicated on the May Housing Questionnaire for new incoming students.  Generally, married students live in the Blake Apartments, when available, or off campus.

What is the College policy on Residence Hall Closings during the school year?S

Students must contact the Office of Student Affairs ( if they wish to stay on campus during the Fall, Thanksgiving or Spring breaks and make other arrangements for meals if the dining hall will not be operating.
All residence halls are closed during the break between first and second semester.  Students must vacate their rooms the day of their last exam. Students have a 24 hour window following their last exam in May to pack up and move out of their dorm room.