Housing Selection Overview

New students who have not participated in our room selection process should pay special attention to this information concerning housing selections for the next academic year. Students choose rooms according to Housing Selection Guidelines and their cumulative hours and gpa earned at the end of their previous Fall semester at H-SC. Therefore, the better your academic performance, the better choice you will have for housing. Any questions may be directed to the Office of Student Affairs at (434) 223.6317. Please note that ALL housing is contingent on a student registering for Fall courses during his registration period.

ESTIMATED Room Rates and actual figures are listed at Tuition and Fees. Double and single room rental rates are the same in residence halls and apartments.

Housing Selection Process: 2017-18 Housing Selection Calendar

Mid-January: Off Campus - paper applications (32 available slots) will be sent to campus boxes of qualifed rising seniors (see the guidelines for selection criteria or the above calendar for due dates). Students should not sign a lease until they secure one of these slots.

Late January:  Non-Medical Housing Policy Exemption forms due in Blake A prior to February 1 include:

    • 5th year seniors (transcript required),
    • Non-traditional students (age 24 or older)
    • Students commuting from their parent or guardian's home
    • Qualified students requesting to "squat"* their current room.  (Forms available in Blake A only)
    • Married students who live off campus with their spouses or seek on-campus housing must make arrangements through the Office of Student Affairs. Incoming students should indicate this request on the New Student Housing Questionnaire by June 1. Generally, married students live in the Blake Apartments, when available, or off campus.   

Medical exemption forms with required documentation are due in the Wellness Center prior to February 1.

No forms will be accepted after February 1. STUDENTS MUST RE-APPLY EACH YEAR FOR ANY EXEMPTION.

February: housing selection applications and/or housing assignment rosters submitted under the online roster process with e-mail confirmations required of assigned students. These include:

    • Fraternity housing rosters submitted online by house managers and assigned student e-mail confirmations
    • Sophomore or Junior paper applications awards and e-mail confirmations
    • Theme Housing paper applications, awards and e-mail confirmations. Changes in the Theme Housing process include mandatory attendance at the annual Housing Information Meeting by groups interested in applying for a Theme house. Theme applications and room rosters are only available from the Dean at the meeting.
    • Students rosters for second year Theme Housing, Chairman of the Student Court and Student Body President, and roommates

House Managers or OSA staff will obtain agreed upon room/roommate assignment rosters and enter them online. Once an online building roster is completed, the house manager submits the form to the Office of Student Affairs. Each assigned student will receive an e-mail request to confirm the assignment and pick a meal plan automatically housing them for the following fall semester.


March: following Spring Break

  • Specialty Housing: paper applications will be made available for specific College-owned cottages and apartments. 
  • Regular Housing: Selections take place after Spring Break when Specialty Housing selections have concluded. These include housing in Regular Residence Halls (Venable Hall, B Dorm, Johnson Hall, Hampden-House Units, Carpenter Z, and Carpenter Y ground floor.) Students remaining unhoused after these selections end will automatically be placed on a TBA (to be assigned) waitlist. Each student will get an e-mail concerning his housing options and meal plan selection. 
  • After July 1, assigned students may view their room and or roommate assignment on the TigerWeb Student Life portal. If you are still unassigned, please keep checking the website. Unhoused students will be assigned as soon as possible according to availability.