Appendix I: Housing Regulations

Residence hall life is one of the most valuable experiences of a student's college years. This environment of close association provides an opportunity to learn to balance properly the opposing claims of individual freedom and the rights of others. One element of good citizenship is sensitivity to the rights of others. Thus, you should be open to the requests of others to stop behavior that infringes on their rights. Even more desirable is the development of a sense of self-discipline so that you are intuitively aware that certain acts (e.g., loud playing of music) are ruled out because you know that they are bothersome to others.
A student may have his privilege to live on campus withdrawn for a specified period for any infraction of regulations which indicates unsatisfactory citizenship in the residence hall or fraternity house. In this event, the student may be removed from his campus housing, with no refund of residence hall rent or change in his boarding contract allowed. He may have to live off campus if he is to remain enrolled in the College or he may be banned from his place of residence for specific hours of each day. In the event that he withdraws from the College, there shall be no refund. Written application for permission to live on campus again must be submitted to and approved by the Director of Residence Life.

Disregard of the following standards, as well as other rules, may subject individuals and entire halls or sections of residence halls to disciplinary action. The entire Code of Student Conduct applies.  All students should be familiar with the rules stated in the annual Housing Agreement.

Fraternity house managers must live in their respective houses for the academic year.

1. Housing Policy

Hampden-Sydney College has a four-year residential requirement.  Only registered students and College-assigned occupants may reside in College-owned facilities. All students are required to live on campus unless they have received a formal exemption from the College's housing policy. Exemptions are granted for the following reasons

  • Student is married, and commuting to campus from a home shared with a spouse
  • Student lives with parents and is commuting to campus from family home
  • Student has completed eight, full-time (12 credit hours or more) semesters at Hampden-Sydney College

The College may make exceptions to this housing policy for students wishing to live off campus, normally only when enrollment exceeds housing capacity. A limited number of off-campus housing assignments (third party landlord) are made available each year in the online room choosing process outlined under Housing Assignments. Students are advised that signing a lease or rental agreement with a third party landlord does not exempt them from the College's Housing Policy, and leases or rental agreements should not be signed unless an off-campus housing assignment has already been obtained during the annual housing selection process.

Housing Assignments
The College tries to grant the preference of each student in making housing assignments and roommate pairings. However, there may be occasions where some assignments have to be changed in the interest of the total housing program.

The Director of Residence Life assigns roommates for freshmen. Mutual roommate requests submitted by June 1 will be granted.

Housing assignments for upperclassmen are determined by the online room choosing process. The rising senior with the highest overall academic standing is given the first chance to make a housing selection. Selection times then run down through the classes in order of credit hours earned and cumulative grade point average.

The demand for space in College housing is typically greater than the supply of rooms available during housing selection.  If all housing options have been claimed during a student's selection time, he will sign a To Be Announced (TBA) Housing Contract.  Students who sign a TBA Housing Contract will have their housing assignment made by the Director of Residence Life before the start of the Fall Semester. TBA assignments will be based on available housing options and the requests made by the student. More information about this process is available on the Residence Life website.

Room Changes
Requests for room changes should be initiated with a student's current resident advisor. Room changes must be formally approved by the Director of Residence Life or his designee before a student begins to relocate.

According to the Housing Agreement, unapproved room changes will result in a fine of up to $300.  There is no charge for approved room changes.

Only under special circumstances will freshmen be allowed to make a room change before November 1.  

2. Social Regulations

Visitation Responsibilities
A roommate's right to free access to his room at all times must not be abrogated by visitation by guests. A roommate's concurrence is necessary in order for a room to be used for visitation. A roommate must not be deprived of his right to privacy, study time, or sleep because of a guest.

There are to be no organized parties, kegs of beer, or other common-container alcohol in residence halls without the permission of the Dean of Students or the Director of Residence Life. This rule does not preclude groups or couples from getting together in a room on Friday or Saturday nights; however, they should not be noisy, should respect the rights of others, and should obey the law and alcohol policy. Socializing in rooms should be limited to no more than twelve people. Those who live in fraternity houses or campus cottages with adequate common space may host larger groups. The rule does mean that no one may organize a party or invite persons to a social function in or around a residence hall without submitting a party registration form according to College policy and gaining the approval of the Director of Residence Life.

College policy prohibits the drinking of alcoholic beverages in public on the campus or in College buildings. No alcoholic beverages-in either primary or secondary containers-may be present or consumed in public areas (halls, porches, etc.) in or around residence halls, and no alcohol may be provided or served by persons responsible for an approved, organized social activity or party.

Noise Level
At all times, especially on weeknights, the noise level in and around fraternity houses and residence halls shall be such that it neither disturbs neighbors nor keeps fellow students from their right to have quiet for study and rest.

The noise level should never be excessive in residence halls. Students, with the assistance of Resident Advisors, are responsible for keeping order and maintaining quiet. In fraternities, the president should be responsible for enforcement. If the problem cannot be handled at this level, the offender(s) should be reported to the Dean of Students. Specifically in regard to music and video games, while there is no desire to keep a student from enjoying his sound or gaming equipment, limits must be set which allow other students the freedom to study or sleep in the comfort of their rooms, free from outside disturbance. Abuse of the privilege to use a music player or game console will lead to restrictions or to the withdrawal of the privilege to have such equipment in the residence halls. This decision is made by the Dean of Students and the Chairman of the Student Court.
3. Property Maintenance

Proper care of College property is expected of all students.

No College furniture is to be removed from any residence room.

No lofts are permitted other than the College dorm furniture that is specifically designed to be lofted.

The minimum charges stated below are not substitutes for disciplinary action. The full range of penalties of the Code of Student Conduct applies, including the possibility of eviction from the residence hall.


Smoking is not permitted in any Residence Hall, Fraternity House, College-Owned apartment or cottage or Settle Hall including the Tiger Inn.  Students who are found smoking, or whose room contains evidence of smoking, are subject to fines and disciplinary action.


You are not allowed to possess unauthorized cooking equipment, to include any kind of oven or toaster oven, hot plate or cooking unit, electric grill (George Foreman), skillet, fryer, or cooker, hot dog cookers, hamburger cookers or toasters. Sanctions include confiscation of equipment. No cooking is allowed on grills or other implements on fire escapes, windowsills, stairwell landings or balconies etc.

The following appliances are permissible: one half-size refrigerator (UL listed; up to 4.3 cubic feet) and one microwave oven (UL listed; up to 1000 Watts) per student room; coffee pots and coffee makers with thermostats; popcorn poppers; and blenders. Grills must be charcoal grills and can only be used on concrete patios, parking areas, or lawns; they must be ten (10) feet or more from any structure. Grills cannot be used on decks or porches.

No personal air conditioners are permitted in student living areas.

Dart Boards

You are not allowed to possess a dart board or darts; confiscation of the equipment and other sanctions will result, including restitution for damages.


No pets may be kept on campus by students living in residence halls, fraternity houses, or College-owned housing. No pets are allowed in other College buildings, and no pets belonging to students who live off-campus may be brought onto the campus unless they are on a leash. No warm-blooded, feathered, or poisonous animals, or snakes, caged or uncaged, are allowed in the residence halls, college-owned cottages, or fraternity houses. They are also prohibited from visiting. Animals are both a health hazard and a nuisance for the hall community. The presence of a pet in a residence hall may result in fines and disciplinary referral to the Student Court Chairman. In some cases, it may be necessary to contact Prince Edward County Animal Control.

Cleanliness of Residence Halls and Vicinity

Students are encouraged to treat all College facilities as they would treat their own home and expect other students and guests to do the same.

Trash should never be excessive in the halls or public areas of residence halls. If Buildings and Grounds personnel have to clean up excessive trash and debris inside a residence hall, a minimum $50 fee will be assessed to students living on the hall, or to the students responsible.

The area around residence halls should be kept free of debris, glass, etc. Residents are expected to use trash receptacles and not to litter the grounds. A minimum fee of $50 will be charged to a section, residence hall, or student responsible if there is excessive trash outside the residence halls and Buildings and Grounds personnel have to clean it up.

No furniture (e.g., tables, chairs, sofas), boxes, or other materials may be left outside of any building overnight. A minimum fee of $50 will be charged to remove these objects, which are subject to confiscation.

No items (e.g., flags, banners, tapestries, posters, etc.) may be displayed in the windows or outside of any College-owned housing facilities.

Only College-issued blinds are approved for installation in windows.

If a student becomes aware of vandalism or damage caused by another student or guest, he is encouraged to report this information to his RA immediately so that the person(s) responsible may be held accountable. Likewise, if a student accidentally or intentionally vandalizes or damages property he is expected to take responsibility for his actions and promptly report the incident to his RA.  

Indoor Air Quality

Maintaining a satisfactory and healthy indoor environment and good indoor air quality in Southside Virginia's highly variable climate requires a joint effort by Hampden-Sydney College staff and residence hall residents. No heating or air conditioning system is able to eliminate all pollen, dust and allergens; therefore, effective maintenance and housekeeping practices must be followed by both students and staff to reduce humid conditions and prevent microbial growth, such as mold and mildew, within College housing.

Maintaining cleanliness in the residence hall living environment is essential for healthy air quality because microbial growth, such as mold and mildew, grows and thrives in wet or humid conditions, including those created by food or other organic materials containing moisture, wet towels, wet clothing, water intrusion, or spills which are not cleaned up immediately.  Mold or mildew growth can occur within 24-48 hours of a spill of any liquid or water intrusion, so clean-up of spills or reporting of water intrusion must be done promptly, and any items or activities that create excessive moisture are strictly prohibited from all College housing.

Damage of Undetermined Origin

Though RA's make efforts to investigate the origin of damage and vandalism in their area, it is not always possible to identify the person(s) responsible. In the event of damage of undetermined origin in or around a residence hall, the cost of repair will be split between the residents of a hall, section, or entire residence hall(s) as determined by the Dean of Students or the Director of Residence Life. The minimum charge per person will be $5.

Residence Hall Inspections

Residence halls are inspected from time to time by RAs, Office of Student Affairs staff, the Fire Safety Department, or the State Fire Marshal. The main purposes of inspections are to discover and determine responsibility for damage to, misuse of, and/or misappropriation of College property, and to report matters needing maintenance. Obvious violations of College regulations in non-maintenance areas may be discovered and reported as a result of the inspection, but the inspection itself is not a search of one's room or belongings. 

Room Check-in and Check-out

It is required that each student have his residence hall room inspected both when he occupies the room and when he vacates the room. Failure to do will result in a $50 fine. When making a mid-year room change, students are also required to complete a room check-out with their RA, and a room check-in with their new RA.

Fines and charges are assessed if the room is not clean, or if property is missing or damaged, when a student departs. Rooms that are not left in a condition fit for immediate reoccupation will be charged a cleaning fee of not less than $25. Additional fines and charges are possible.

If seniors are checked out of their rooms before graduation, they may not remain in their rooms unless they have written permission to do so from the Director of Residence Life.

All students should be familiar with the rules stated in the Housing Agreement.