Housing Selection Guidelines

Please refer to the current Housing Selection Calendar for all dates associated with any process listed in these guidelines.

Course Registration Required:
All students must register for the upcoming Fall courses during their registration period in April to secure any H-SC housing. Failure to do so will result in the agreement becoming VOID and forfeiture of a group or individual's housing assignment or off-campus award.

Selection Criteria
Selection criteria is based on the earned credit hour standards set forth in the academic catalogue at the end of the previous fall semester before housing selections are made.

Semester                            3                              5            

Hours                                 41                           73                          

Rising Sophomore = 40 earned hours or below

Rising Junior           = 41-72 earned hours

Rising Senior          = 73 earned hours and above

Transfer students, who entered in the spring semester, select rooms at the all men's average (TBD) with their hours bracket.

Late Housing Registration Fee
A fee of $100.00 will be assessed to students who fail to register for housing and sign a housing agreement online.  Students who are unsure or know they will not be returning in the Fall should contact our office (shuskey@hsc.edu) by April 20 to avoid being charged the late fee.

Fraternity House Rosters:

Each fraternity is obligated to fill its beds. Fraternity house managers will submit housing rosters for the upcoming year in early February. Each fraternity will be required to fill each bed with eligible members who agree to live in the house, prior to their names being submitted to the Office of Student Affairs, and provide a list of no fewer than 3 alternates. The alternates must agree that they will live in the house in the event of a vacancy. Each student contemplating living in a fraternity house is urged to discuss this with their parents before committing to living there. Rosters are submitted to the Office of Student Affairs (shuskey@hsc.edu) and each resident on the roster must sign an online housing agreement. Each fraternity must have an appointed House Manager who will reside in the house during the full academic year. The President in office in the Fall of the year must live in the house for the academic year.

Housing options for next Fall:

1.  Non-Traditional Housing: includes room assignments which are not "selected" during an online process. Students only need to go online to accept terms and sign housing agreements for these assignments. Rosters and status requests must be submitted to Shirley Huskey in mid-February. Housing Exemption requests are due Feb. 1.

These include:

a)     Requests submitted by married, 5th year seniors (transcript required), non-traditional students (age 24 or older) or students commuting from their parent or guardian's home. Housing Exemption Forms required. 

b)     Resident Advisors, Student Body President, Student Court Chairman and roommates if applicable. 

c)     Qualified students requesting to "squat" their current room. (See process for "Squatting" below.)

d)     Students who submitted requests and were approved for Special Housing Exemption

e)     Students who have requested their names be submitted on rosters for Academic Theme houses (Honors, Spanish), or other Theme Houses (MSU, TAC or any 2nd year Theme Houses) by their house managers or Faculty Advisor. (Housing awards mentioned are subject to change.)

2.  Paper applications (with a group) for rising Sophomore Housing (Dickinson Hall), rising Junior Housing (Coxe Hall) or Theme Housing.

3.  Online housing selections:

include Specialty and Regular housing options and are based on academic standing within each class at the end of the previous fall semester.  Rising seniors with the highest grade point average will have the earliest selection times.

a.  Specialty Housing:  There are 219 five (5) minute time slots spread over a three night time period in which rising seniors and a few top rising juniors have the option to select specialty housing before anyone below them can select.  Eligible students may compete for one of the 32 Traditional Off-Campus slots (plus 32 waitlist slots if these are taken).  College-owned Apartments and Cottages are also available.  If housing is left after the third night of selections ALL students may compete for it on a first come basis at 11:05p.m.  Students who receive one of the 219 time slots are not required to select during this time if they wish to wait for regular residence hall room selections.

b.  Regular Housing:  Selections take place after Spring Break and include housing in Regular Residence Halls.  If no rooms are available when you sign up for housing you will sign an online TBA* (to be assigned) housing agreement. Your name will be added to a waiting list. All students on the TBA list are guaranteed a room on campus but TBA R1 agreements are assigned on a first come basis according to availablilty. After July 1, housed students may view their room and or roommate assignment on their TigerWeb Student Life portal.
The rental rate and technology fee is higher for single rooms.  Fees will be posted on the Housing Selection Calendar when available.  Current charges are available during the summer on the Tuition and Fees page. Selection dates and hours brackets are available online and will be e-mailed to students in early March.

Eligible students wishing to squat their rooms must submit their intention to do so during Office Assignment Housing registration.  Students with 41 or more earned hours whose cumulative grade point average meets or exceeds the current all-men's average (TBD) will be permitted to squat their room if it is eligible. (Specialty Housing, DKSNH and Coxe Hall rooms are not eligible.)  If the room being squatted is a double room and both current residents wish to squat the room and pull different roommates, the resident with the highest cumulative grade point average will have first pick of the room, provided they each are in the same hours bracket.  "Squatting" a room applies only to the room a student currently lives in.  For example, one who now lives in HH1 cannot "squat" HH6. If you were awarded off campus this year, you still need to compete for online selection for next year.  No "squatting" is allowed from year to year for those living in any of the awarded College owned apartments or traditional off campus housing.

Married Students:
Married students who live with their spouses and seek on-campus housing must make arrangements for housing through the Office of Student Affairs. This should be done by February 1 for current students. Incoming students should indicate this request on the New Student Housing Questionnaire by June 1. Generally, married students live in the Blake Apartments, when available, or off campus.  Housing Exemption Forms are required.

Study Abroad:
Students who studied abroad during the Fall semester of the current academic year:  If you have not received credit for hours earned during that period you should contact the Office of Student Affairs before your selection time if those hours will change your selection status from rising Junior to rising Senior. 

Students studying abroad second semester:  
Students currently studying abroad second semester who have limited or no internet access should e-mail the Office of Student Affairs (jramsay@hsc.edu) by February 1 stating his intention of returning to the College in the fall and provide three housing preferences.  Housing in a specific residence hall is not guaranteed.  Students studying abroad will receive College information via their H-SC e-mail address concerning Online room selections for the Fall which will take place during February and March.  Please contact the Office of Student Affairs in advance, if you have any questions about the selection process.

*Special note - TBA (to be assigned housing) Anyone choosing a double room during the online process must have a roommate at the time of your room selection. You cannot secure a double room without a roommate. Any student who is left without housing to choose from, or does not have a roommate to secure a double room, must select the TBA (to be assigned) option online which will enable him to sign a TBA housing agreement and select a meal plan. Each student must sign his own TBA agreement.  Another student cannot sign for you.  Any student who fails to sign up for housing or contact the Office of Student Affairs (x:6317) concerning Fall housing, may be billed a $100.00 late registration fee.

To see current room availability view our layouts on our Residence Life webpage.  Please contact us if you have any questions or if you are sure you are not returning in the Fall. (434-223-6317)    

Revised 9-08-2015