Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
The 1000 students come from 26 states, D.C., and 19 foreign countries.
General Housing Information
Housing Policy - The Key our student handbook contains valuable information about student life, including our Housing Policy. Please read it and the Housing Contract carefully, making particular note of the policies regarding damage to your room or residential hall. (No College furniture may be removed from your room at anytime) Contact us
New student housing: Cushing Hall, Carpenter X and Y and the White House Complex house our new freshman students. Transfer students are normally housed together on the 2nd floor of Carpenter Z.
- Our residence halls are air conditioned, have tile floors and all windows have venetian blinds. All residence halls have single or double bedrooms.
- Whitehouse Houses, Cushing and Carpenter Buildings have common bathrooms on the hall; Whitehouse Colonnades (NC/SC/WC) rooms consist of suites (two double bedrooms) with a shared bathroom.
- Beds are extra long twin (36" x 80")
- All rooms are furnished with a bed, desk, desk chair, dresser and closet/wardrobe
- Refrigerators (UL listed and one per room) may be no larger than 4.3 cubic feet
- Microwave ovens (UL listed and one per room ) may be no larger than 1000 watts
- Things to bring with you include linens, laundry/cleaning supplies, academic, electronic and miscellaneous needs as listed on our printable What to Bring list.
- The Bookstore will cash checks for you.
- Voice mail boxes and basic cable service are included in your Technology fee. During matriculation students without cell phones may request a phone be placed in their room.
- Washers and dryers are available in the basements of Carpenter Z, Venable Hall, East House and West House.
- Your RA will complete a room check-in form with you when you move in. This form will also be completed should you change rooms or when you move out at the end of the year.
- New student residence hall floor plans - VIEW FLOOR PLANS
Communication: The College employs your H-SC e-mail account, your H-SC post office box and the voice mail technology to communicate critical College information about which you should know and for which you are held responsible. You are encouraged to develop the habit of checking each at least daily.
Mail: USPS, FedEx and UPS delivery is available through our post office in Graham Hall. Packages should be addressed to: Your Name, Hampden-Sydney College, Your Box Number-Graham Hall, 80 College Road, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Residence Hall Closings: All residence halls are closed during the break between first and second semester. Students must vacate their rooms the day of their last exam. Students must contact the Associate Dean of Students office if they wish to stay on campus during Fall, Thanksgiving or Spring breaks and make other arrangement for meals if the dining hall will not be operating.