(Please refer to the Housing Selection Calendar for dates & times)
Course Registration Required:
All students must register for the upcoming Fall courses during their registration period in March to secure any H-SC housing. ONLINE HOUSING CONTRACT STIPULATION: Assignments and housing contracts are contingent on a student registering for Fall courses during their registration period. Failure to do so will result in the contract becoming VOID and forfeiture of the housing assignment for the entire group or an individual's off-campus award.
Selection criteria is based on the earned credit hour standards set forth in the academic catalogue at the end of the previous fall semester before housing selections are made.
Semester 3 5
Hours 41 73
Rising Sophomore = 40 earned hours or below
Rising Junior = 41-72 earned hours
Rising Senior = 73 earned hours and above
Late Housing Registration Fee:
A fee of $100.00 will be assessed to students who fail to register for housing and sign a housing contract online. Students who are unsure or know they will not be returning in the Fall should contact our office by April 20 to avoid being charged the late fee.
Special exemption: Requests for special exemption to the housing policy will only be considered if properly submitted by the Office Assignment Housing request deadline. (Please refer to the current year Housing Selection Calendar for the deadline.)
Fraternity Member Housing:
Fraternity members are not eligible for any specialty housing or regular housing until all beds in the respective fraternity houses are filled for the upcoming school year. Unless prior approval is received by the Dean of Greek Life by the first Monday in February, IFC Fraternity presidents must reside in their respective houses during the Fall semester. They must compete for and secure one of the 32 Traditional off campus slots if they want to live off campus during the Spring semester of the upcoming academic year. Contact the Assistant Dean of Greek Life NOW if you have questions regarding fraternity housing policies. Please refer to the Housing Selection Calendar for the dates Fraternity Housing Contracts must be signed ONLINE.
Office Assignment Housing Registration: Office assignment housing includes many categories as follows:
· Commuting students, (special request form required) married students, 5th year seniors, students awarded permission to live in Theme Housing for a second year, Resident Advisors and roommates if applicable, Chairman of the Student Court and Student Body President and roommates, students selected to live in Language/Honors housing, students wishing to "squat" their current room or request special exemption to the housing policy.
· Squatting: Eligible students wishing to squat their rooms must submit their intention to do so during Office Assignment Housing registration. Students with 41 or more earned hours whose cumulative grade point average meets or exceed the current all-men's average (2.78) will be permitted to squat their room if it is eligible. (Specialty Housing, DKSNH and F Dorm rooms are not eligible.) If the room being squatted is a double room and both current residents wish to squat the room and pull different roommates, the resident with the highest cumulative grade point average will have first pick of the room, provided they each are in the same hours bracket. "Squatting" a room applies only to the room a student currently lives in. For example, one who now lives in HH1 cannot "squat" HH6. If you were awarded off campus this year, you still need to compete for online selection for next year. No "squatting" is allowed from year to year for those living in any of the awarded College owned apartments or traditional off campus housing.
· Married Students: Married students who live with their spouses and seek on-campus housing must make arrangements for housing through the Associate Dean of Students during this registration period. Generally, married students live in the Blake Apartments, when available, or off campus.
· Sophomore Apartment and Theme Housing: Paper Applications - Awarded students sign contracts online.
· DEADLINES FOR ROSTERS, NOTIFICATIONS TO OUR OFFICE, AND ONLINE CONTRACT SIGNING: Please refer to the current year HOUSING SELECTION CALENDAR.
· Students who studied abroad during the Fall semester of the current academic year: If you have not received credit for hours earned during that period you should contact the Associate Dean of Residence Life by the deadline for this registration if those hours will change your selection status from rising Junior to rising Senior.
· Students studying abroad second semester: Students currently studying abroad second semester who have limited or no internet access should e-mail the Associate Dean of Residence Life by February 10 stating his intention of returning to the College in the fall and provide three housing preferences. Housing in a specific residence hall is not guaranteed. Students studying abroad will receive College information via their H-SC e-mail address concerning Online room selections for the Fall which will take place in February - April. Please contact the Associate Dean of Residence Life, in advance, if you have any questions about the selection process.
Specialty Housing Notification - e-mails will be sent to qualified students informing them of their selection time slot. Please refer to the current year Housing Selection Calendar for the e-mail date and the selection dates and times Specialty Housing will take place.
Regular Room Choosing:
· Selections for the upcoming Fall take place in late March and early April of each year after students complete Fall course registration. Regular housing options are for our single and double bedrooms available in our on campus residence halls. These housing selections are made during an online process according to a student's cumulative hours and gpa earned through the end of the Fall semester prior to selections. All students, even if you are not sure you will be returning in the Fall, (whether you plan to study abroad, transfer or are having academic problems) should participate in these selections. Selection dates and hours brackets are e-mailed to students in late March.
· Special note - TBA (to be assigned housing) Anyone choosing a double room during the online process must have a roommate at the time of your room selection. You cannot secure a double room without a roommate. Any student who is left without housing to choose from, or does not have a roommate to secure a double room, must select the TBA (to be assigned) option online which will enable him to sign a TBA housing contract and select a meal plan. Each student must sign his own TBA contract. Another student cannot sign for you. Any student who fails to sign up for housing or contact the Dean of Students office (x:6317) concerning Fall housing, may be billed a $100.00 late registration fee.
· To see current room availability view our layouts on our Residence Life webpage. Please contact us if you have any questions or if you are sure you are not returning in the Fall. (434-223-6127 or 434-223-6317)