College Mascot: Tiger
College Colors: Garnet and Gray
Athletic Conference: Old Dominion Athletic Conference
PHRASES ASSOCIATED WITH THE COLLEGE
To form good men and good citizens in an atmosphere of sound learning.
“To form good men and good citizens” was the original mission of Hampden-Sydney College established by the Founders in 1775. “In an atmosphere of sound learning” first appeared in the Academic Catalogue in 1972. Together they constitute the College’s current mission.
Huc venite iuvenes ut exeatis viri
The Latin motto on the College gates is translated: “Come here as youths so that you may leave as men.”
In ancient Rome a male was considered a boy (puer) until he was 14, at which time he was designated a youth (juvenis). With this status, a youth acquired every legal capacity that depended on age alone, with the exception of the capacity for public office. The youth could contract marriage, thus becoming a paterfamilias; he was also liable to military service and entitled to vote in the comitia. However, youths were also given some special legal protections.
Updating the Roman tradition, one’s college years are not an extension of childhood; they are a period of accepting adult responsibility in preparation for manhood and full participation as a citizen.
WHO WAS IT NAMED FOR?
- Cushing Hall (1822, 1833) — Jonathon P. Cushing, President 1820 – 1835
- Venable Hall (1824, 1830; built as main building of Union Theological Seminary) — Maj. Richard M. Venable, Class of 1857, purchased the Seminary buildings in 1898 and gave them to the College
- Bortz Library (2007) — Walter M. Bortz Ⅲ, President 2000 – 2009
- Morton Hall (1936) — Samuel P. Morton, descendent of Captain John Morton, Founding Trustee
- Bagby Hall (1922) — Dr. John H. C. Bagby, Professor of Chemistry
- Winston Hall (built as Union Seminary library 1880; expanded as H-SC library 1939, converted to dining hall 1962; after 1991 modified for fine arts) — Dr. J. H. C. Winston, Professor of Chemistry
- Gilmer Hall (1968) — Thomas E. Gilmer ’23, Professor of Physics; President 1960 – 63
- Atkinson Hall (1834) — P. Tulane Atkinson ’07, Business Manager & Treasurer 1919 – 1959
- Graham Hall (house section 1833; “gymnasium” section 1916) — H. Tucker Graham, Class of 1886, President 1909 – 1917
- Settle Hall (1991) — W. Sydnor Settle ’55, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Crawley Forum (1984) — T. Edward Crawley ’41, Professor of English and Director of the Glee Club (Men’s Chorus)
- Johns Auditorium (1951) — Dr. Frank S. Johns ’08, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Kirk Athletic Center (1941 as Gammon Gymnasium — Edgar G. Gammon, President 1939 – 1955); (2008) — John W. Kirk Ⅲ ’72
- Kirby Field House (1979) — Kirby Foundation
- Everett Stadium (2007) — Lewis C. Everett ’62
STUDENT BODY STATISTICS (2014–15)
- Student opening enrollment: 1105
- Number of Full and Part-Time Faculty: 105
- Men 74 (70.5%) • Women 31 (29.5%)
- Student Faculty Ratio: 11.5/1
- Percentage of students residing in College housing: 95%.
- Percentage of students on varsity NCAA teams: 28.5%.
- Percentage of students who are members of the ten social fraternities (after pledging): approximately 44%
- U.S. — 30 states and the District of Columbia. 70.1% from Virginia
- International — 13 foreign countries. The countries from which our students come are represented by the flags in Pannill Commons.
- Minority representation:
- Black — 7.7%
- Native American — 0.5%
- Asian — 1.8%
- Hispanic — 1.8%