Provost and Dean of the Faculty
Dennis G. Stevens,
Provost and Dean of the Faculty — 1st Floor
Walter C. (Mike) McDermott III,
Associate Dean of the Faculty — 3rd Floor
Martha C. Hilton,
Administrative Secretary — 1st Floor
- Academic concerns which cannot be resolved by a faculty member or advisor.
- Matters to go before the Faculty or the Executive Committee of the Faculty.
- For an appointment call (434) 223-6112, contact Martha Hilton at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Dean’s office in Atkinson Hall.
Jane F. Holland,
Senior Academic Secretary — Morton Hall 122
Patricia A. Brandt,
Academic Secretary, Rhetoric Program — Morton Hall 122
Jessica M. (Jessi) Otey,
Academic Secretary and Global Education Assistant — Bagby Hall 313
C. Beckie Smith,
Academic Secretary — Gilmer Hall 134
Bagby Hall — 2nd Floor
Lisa A. Burns,
Director of Academic Success
Associate Director for Academic Success and Disability Services Coordinator
Academic Counselor — Bagby 117
Gerri C. Williams,
Senior Secretary to the Associate Dean for Academic Success
- Academic support services for all students.
- Matters pertaining to academic and social adjustment of freshmen and sophomores.
- Learning disabilities: information, documentation, and support services.
- For an appointment call (434) 223-6286 or contact Ms. Williams at email@example.com or visit Bagby 202.
Career Education and Vocational Reflection
Bagby Hall — 209
Ellen L. Masters,
Rebecca A. (Becca) Snyder,
Assistant Associate Director
Jennifer S. Allen,
Senior Secretary and Recruiting Coordinator
- Individualized career planning with a Career Coach for freshmen through seniors.
- Career exploration through various assessments.
- Workshops on resume and cover letter writing, personal branding, job and internship searching, interviewing and networking, applying to graduate school, etc.
- On-campus interviews with employers.
- Online job and internship postings exclusive to Hampden-Sydney students and alumni via TigerConnections.
- Career library with study guides for tests such as GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, DAT and the PRAXIS.
- Industry-specific workshops, information sessions, and field trips.
- For an appointment call (434) 223-6106.
Global Education & Study Abroad
Bagby Hall — 315
Dr. Daniella Widdows,
Jessica M. (Jessi) Otey,
- Information on study abroad programs for full year or semester, summer, and faculty-led H-SC May Term Abroad Programs.
- Assistance in program selection, preparation of applications, personal statements, faculty recommendations, and other materials.
- Sessions on study abroad issues such as passports and visas, money matters, health and safety, overseas housing/ meals, and personal travel options.
- Assistance with host-university course selections, and with obtaining proper transfer credit upon return to H-SC.
- Primary Designated School Official for international students on campus; issues and signs I-20 forms; provides orientation and non-academic advising for international students on campus.
- For an appointment call (434) 223-6311 or visit Bagby 315.
Wilson Center for Leadership in the Public Interest
LTC L. Rucker Snead III (USA, Ret) ’81,
Dr. David E. Marion,
Director of the Public Service Program
Dr. James Y. Simms,
Director of the Military Leadership & National Security Studies Program
May S. Reed,
Assistant to the Director
The Wilson Center for Leadership in the Public Interest has the goal of "preparing men of character for lives of consequence" and coordinates leadership, public service, and civic education for Hampden-Sydney students. The Center hosts lectures, forums, symposia, and excursions that help develop effective and ethical leaders. Also, the Center offers five curricular and co-curricular leadership development programs:
- Freshman Leadership Program
- Army ROTC
- Public Service Minor
- Military Leadership and National Security Studies Minor
- Shelton Leadership Challenge
- For an appointment stop by the Wilson Center or call at (434) 223-7077.