Administrative Offices and Services
PRESIDENT OF THE COLLEGE
Christopher B. Howard, President — 1st Floor
William P.O. Moss ’10, Special Assistant to the President and Director of Social and Mobile Media — 3rd Floor
Karen P. Montgomery, Executive Secretary to the President — 1st Floor
Anita Garland, Dean of Admissions
Jason M. Ferguson ’96, Director of Admissions
- Work with current students to share their knowledge and enthusiasm about the College with prospective students.
- Assist students in applying for readmission if they have withdrawn or are suspended from the College.
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS
John Prengaman, Director of Physical Plant
Paul Giles, Assistant Director of Physical Plant
David Giles, Facilities Support Director
Stephen C. Boles, Superintendent of Grounds
James Edward Crawley, Supervisor of Housekeeping
D. Wayne East, Inventory Coordinator
William Gillen, Carpool and Key Control
Sarah W. Tolley, Office Manager
Maintenance requests: Call Work Order Line (434) 223-7000, or online—go to B&G Work Order under “Current Students”
Margaret E. Nicely, Cashier
Cynthia C. Jones, Student Accounts Manager
Shirley M. Robertson, Business Operations Manager
- Pay bills and parking tickets
- Student accounts
CAMPUS SECURITY AND POLICE
Jeffrey S. Brown, Director of Public Safety & Chief of Police
Jeffrey S. Gee, Deputy Chief of Police
Norma Kernodle, Public Information Services Coordinator
T. Mark Fowler, Sergeant
Jason Jenkins, Police Officer
Noel Malave, Police Officer
F. Daniel Marrin, Police Officer
Bobby L. Simmons, Police Officer
Thomas J. Travis, Police Officer
- Register motor vehicles and bikes
- Discuss contested parking tickets
- Submit parking ticket appeals
- General security needs
Students arrested for a violation of law are subject to prosecution under civil and criminal authority in addition to proceedings by the Student Court. Members of the Hampden-Sydney College police force are sworn to uphold the laws of the Commonwealth. Therefore, students suspected of violating the law ordinarily are referred to the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney which then determines whether to press charges under civil or criminal law.
COLLEGE EVENTS OFFICE
Sandra P. Cooke, Director of College Events — 3rd Floor
Keary Mariannino, College Events Assistant — 1st Floor
- To receive approval for the use of campus facilities and set-up for an event, please go to the H-SC website, then to CALENDAR, then to EVENTS REQUEST FORM (requires H-SC network account), and fill it out the form for approval.
- To change or cancel an event, contact Ms. Norma Kernodle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact office for information concerning College events, including Commencement, Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc.
- Assistance with special event arrangements.
Events are publicized through:
- Weekly Events Reminder: Emailed every Monday morning while classes are in session.
- Electronic Bulletin Boards: Contain information from the Weekly Events Reminder and posters.
- Online College Calendar and CAC Calendar.
Winston Hall — Ground Floor
Thomas H. Shomo ’69, Director of Marketing and Communications
Linda F. Cassada, Communications Assistant
Jennifer W. Cochrane, Secretary
John L. Dudley ’95, College Editor
Kelly Malone Dudley, Web Content Editor
Kevin R. Kirsche, Graphic Designer
Dr. Richard C. McClintock, Graphic Designer
Stephen O. Muskie, Graphic Designer
Kevin A. Tuck, Production Manager
- Assists with posters and other printed materials for student clubs and organizations. Contact Mr. Tuck (email@example.com) or visit the Communications Office.
- Maintains the Website NEWS and commissions stories by students about community service, study abroad, internships, summer research, club and class trips, May term, etc. If you are interested in writing for the Website NEWS, contact Mr. Shomo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Maintains the electronic bulletin boards. Contact Ms. Cassada (email@example.com).
- Provides news releases to hometown newspapers regarding student academic honors and achievements. Contact Ms. Cassada (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Use of registered College trademarks. Contact Mr. Shomo (email@example.com)
Zita M. Barree, Director of Financial Aid
Lynn N. Clements, Assistant Director
Debra M. Gregory, Office Manager & Systems Supervisor
Rosa C. Thomas, Assistant Director
- All matters pertaining to financial assistance from the College as well as state and federal programs.
- Aid Application Assistance:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program (VTAG)
- Federal Student and Parent Loan Applications
- Tuition Exchange
- Private Loan Applications
- Scholarship search
- Veterans benefits certification, including Yellow Ribbon.
- Financial aid matters related to study abroad programs.
- For an appointment call (434) 223-6119 or contact Ms. Gregory at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Financial Aid Office on Atkinson Avenue across from the Theta Chi House.
Atkinson Hall — 2nd Floor
Dawn Congleton, Registrar
Cynthia Campbell, Assistant Registrar
Joyce Fulcher, Secretary
Meagan Irving, Secretary
Matters pertaining to enrollment and graduation including grades, grade-point averages, and class standings:
- Academic transcripts
- Registration (adding and dropping classes)
- Class and exam schedules
- Transfer credits
- Cooperative programs
- Enrollment verification
- Graduation clearance
Human Resources Cabell House — 2nd Floor
Linda Layne, Human Resources Assistant
Connie L. Clabo, Payroll Manager, email@example.com
Computing Center, Johns Auditorium
C. Edward Palmertree, Telecommunications System Technician (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Programs all telephones for students, faculty, and staff.
- Works with students, faculty, and staff on telephone repairs, voice-mail problems, Cable TV, and Internet problems.