Office of Student Affairs

Our office includes staff in the Blake A building, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Wellness Center.

Blake A Staff:

Dr. David A. Klein ’78,
Dean of Students — 1st Floor

Dr. Robert P. Sabbatini,
Associate Dean of Students — 1st Floor

John R. C. Ramsay ’05,
Director of Residence Life— 1st Floor

Hakeem J. Croom ’10,
Assistant Dean of Inclusion and First Year Transition — 2nd Floor

Richard M. Pantele '13,
Assistant Dean of Student Activities and Organizations — 2nd Floor

Sandra P. (Sandy) Cooke,
Director of Student Affairs Operations and Civic Engagement — 2nd Floor

Patricia A. (Patty) Townsend,
Administrative Secretary — 1st Floor

Shirley T. Huskey,
Student Life Data Coordinator — 1st Floor

Dorotha J. (Dottie) Fahrner,
Secretary — 1st Floor

The Student Affairs staff in Blake A provide support to students for matters ranging from new student orientation and housing to intercultural relations, outdoor experience, fraternity life, clubs and organizations, and volunteer service. Staff also work with members of the student government and student court to support the College’s tradition of student leadership and governance.  In addition, students may sign out (free of charge) a range of outdoor equipment from our office: tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, canoes, etc.

The Office of Student Affairs also assists students in applying for reenrollment if they have withdrawn or are suspended from the College. 

Current program responsibilities are:

  • Housing & Residence Life: John Ramsay
  • Orientation & First-Year Programs: Hakeem Croom
  • Inclusion: Hakeem Croom
  • Service & Civic Engagement: Sandy Cooke
  • Activities and Organizations (including fraternities): Richard Pantele
  • Society of 1791 Leadership Program, Beyond the Hill: David Klein
  • Student Justice System: David Klein and Robert Sabbatini
  • Reenrollment:  Robert Sabbatini
  • Title IX Officer: Robert Sabbatini

First Year Programs

Your transition from high school to college begins with Orientation, which provides you with fun and informative ways to learn about all that Hampden-Sydney has to offer, as well as to make new friendships. The transition continues with our flagship first-year program, The Good Men Plan. The Good Men Plan offers programs across the first year of college that encourage you to explore who you want to be and how you want to live.

Inclusion and Intercultural Affairs

The Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Affairs serves as the campus hub for positive interactions with all cultures. Our mission is to equip all students to cultivate meaningful, diverse relationships, to support students from underrepresented groups, and to promote a culture of inclusion and respect on campus. We coordinate educational, cultural, and social programs throughout the academic year that promote awareness and help students appreciate a plethora of identities. Our goals:

  • Advocate for and support the development and achievement of underrepresented students.
  • Encourage the development of academic, leadership, and cultural identity competencies among members of the Hampden-Sydney community.
  • Collaborate with campus and community members to promote inclusivity and respect for issues pertaining to race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

Service and Civic Engagement

Want to be part of something great? Many students here are doing amazing things—helping to build houses, working with kids, caring for abandoned animals, and cleaning up rivers and roadsides, just to name a few. Some of these students are members of service clubs that do projects throughout the year. Others belong to groups that take time from their regular activities to focus on helping those in need. Some are individuals who feel inspired to help others. There are lots of ways you can be involved.

The Service and Civic Engagement Program is here to help you connect to the surrounding community. Please stop by the office or feel free to call:

  • if you want to learn more about service opportunities on campus and in the community;
  • if you are in a group or club that needs help finding a service project;
  • if your group has a service project idea and you need help making it happen.

Good men make a difference in the world! We encourage you to explore the rewarding opportunities to make a difference in the lives of others while you are here at Hampden-Sydney.

Society of '91, Beyond the Hill

Beyond The Hill is Hampden-Sydney’s service and adventure program. It takes the mission of the College beyond the gates, creating good men and good citizens by putting Hampden-Sydney men in the field to participate in both adventurous and service oriented programs. There have been 9 trips to Belize, 7 trips to Honduras, 1 trip to Costa Rica, 5 trips to the Dominican Republic, 1 trip to Nicaragua, 1 trip to New Mexico, 327 participants, 32,072 volunteer hours, and over 4.9 million miles traveled since the program started in 2002.

Chaplain’s Office
College Church

The Rev. Dr. John Scholer,
Interim College Chaplain

The College Chaplain is available for spiritual guidance and religious advice as well as for confidential conversations about personal, social, and family issues.

To meet with the Chaplain, call (434) 223-6269. You are also invited to visit the Chaplain’s office in the basement of College Church. You are welcome to attend Sunday morning worship at College Church; however, church attendance is not required for meeting with the Chaplain.

Wellness Center
204 College Road

The undergraduate experience at Hampden-Sydney challenges students academically, affords them considerable freedom of choice, and requires significant personal growth. To be successful, a student must be healthy of both body and mind and make sound life-style choices. The Wellness Center provides one location where students can find professionals who can assist them with issues regarding their physical and mental health.

Student Health is open Monday–Friday:
7:30 AM – 4 PM.

Other offices are open Monday-Friday:
8:30 AM – 5 PM.

Ms. Andrea R. Jones,
Director of the Wellness Center

Beth P. Graham, BSN, RN — BC,
Director of Student Health

Timothy W. Corbett, MD,
College Contract Physician

C. Denise Faircloth, LPN,
Nurse, Receptionist

Heather B. Hammock, M.Ed.,
College Counselor

Barbara P. Kiewiet de Jonge, BSN, RN — BC,
Primary College Health Nurse

Adrienne Traylor,
Secretary Wellness Center

Shawn R. White, MA,
Assistant Dean for Substance Education


In accordance with the guidelines of the Health Insurance Policy Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Wellness Center does not release any health information unless there is a signed release by the student (18 years or older).


Medical emergency or accident — Call 911

Dr. Corbett sees patients from 7:30 AM until 9 AM. Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. At other times, students are assessed, treated and/or referred by the professional nursing staff.

Student Health is available for the treatment of illnesses and injuries. When it is necessary, the staff will refer students to other facilities that are equipped to give more extensive care. Student Health is an outpatient facility only and should not be considered a comprehensive health care center. When students need overnight hospitalization, they will usually be admitted to Centra Southside Community Hospital.

Except for the cost of immunizations and cholesterol/triglyceride screening, there is no charge for medical services provided at Student Health.

Student Health does not provide prescription medicines. Prescriptions may be filled in any local pharmacy. Students are responsible for those charges.

Students who are referred to or who choose to consult with a health care provider outside Student Health are responsible for those charges.

Student Health does not routinely provide transportation to other facilities.

Student Health should be informed of the details of accidents and illnesses suffered by the students on and off campus, even if no medical assistance is provided by Student Health.

Student Health provides information on many health-related subjects, and the staff is available to provide educational programs for campus groups.

Student Health provides services only when the College is in regular session. Services begin when students arrive at the beginning of each semester and end the last day of the examination period each semester. Student Health does not provide regular service during May term.

The Emergency Room at Centra Southside Community Hospital is designed to treat medical emergencies. It is expensive and inefficient to go there for routine medical care; therefore, students should try to seek medical assistance during regular Student Health hours whenever possible.

Reporting of Illness, Medical Excuses
Students are responsible for contacting their professors and advisors when any illness or injury prevents them from attending class, class-related activities, or exams.

Students are advised to come to Student Health for appropriate treatment/follow-up, as well as to sign a medical information release form in the event professors contact Student Health for verification of the student’s ailment. If the student was treated at an off-campus medical entity, they will need to submit official documentation from the licensed healthcare provider (MD, PA, or FNP). Documentation from a healthcare provider who is also a family member is not accepted.

Student Health does not provide any medical excuses for missed academic responsibilities. On occasion, it does direct the Office of Student Affairs to notify professors and advisors of a prolonged illness or debilitation resulting from an injury. Ongoing communication between the student and his professors is imperative when it comes to any missed academic responsibilities as the result of an illness/injury.


Crisis intervention services are available on a 24-hour basis. For mental health emergencies after office hours, please contact Campus Police at (434) 223-6164 and they will contact the on-call counselor.

Counseling services are provided to assist students with their adjustment to college life and their resolution of personal concerns. Typical student concerns include adjustment to transition and change, uncertainty about values and goals, lack of motivation, poor attention or concentration, relationship conflicts, family concerns, grief and loss, anxiety, depression, and substance abuse. All information shared is strictly confidential and is shared with no one else without the student’s written consent. Referrals are made as appropriate to other sources of assistance, both on and off campus.

  • Short-term professional counseling services
  • Self-help resources and information
  • Educational programming related to issues of personal development
  • Psychological testing and evaluation
  • Referral to off-campus mental health care providers

For an appointment call (434) 223-6411.


Substance education is provided to increase the level of student knowledge concerning trends associated with drug and alcohol use, abuse, dependency, risk factors, and decision-making. By providing a variety of educational opportunities for students and student groups, it is possible for students to make healthier, more informed decisions, and set this example for others to follow.

In addition to providing educational programs, the College is interested in providing support to any students who may be challenged by substance use. Anyone who may be facing challenges in this regard is encouraged to contact the Wellness Center for consultation. All information shared is confidential to the full extent allowed by law.

For an appointment, call (434) 223-6411 or email Adrienne Traylor at or visit the Wellness Center.
Offices are open Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 5 PM.

Referrals off-campus include:


The College provides two levels of staffing support in its housing - residence directors (professional staff) and resident advisors (students). The three residence directors reside in College housing and provide support and guidance to students, particularly during evening and weekend hours when other offices are closed. The residence directors also staff the 24-hour housing/residence life hotline, (434) 223-6667. 

The College also employs students as resident advisors (RAs). RAs are responsible for their assigned hall and serve both as an administrator and mentor for their residents. Additionally, RAs can:

  • Provide information about College regulations, social life, etc.
  • Handle adjustment problems, roommate problems, or other personal matters
  • Unlock doors
  • Enforce residence hall discipline

Residence Directors

Head Resident Advisors

  • Calvin Charles '16
  • Jack Carignan '16
  • Robert Harriss '16
  • Mike Murray '16