Students, faculty, staff, and guests park in designated areas from 7:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
A vehicle may be parked in any parking area from 5 pm to 7:30 am, Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays and Sundays (except during special events, in which case prohibited areas will be marked with temporary signs). Zone parking is also in effect during examination periods.
There are three Zones:
- Students - Red
- Faculty & Staff - Blue
- Guests - White
Some signage designates combined use such as Open Parking (blue/white/red) and faculty/staff/guests parking (blue and white).
Student Parking (RED)
A student may park in any designated student parking lot regardless of his place of residence, on or off campus.
A student may park his vehicle in a designated faculty/staff area overnight or on weekends, but it must be removed by 7:30 am, Monday through Friday. If your car is inoperable, call the H-SC Police (6164) and put a visible note on the dashboard.
Faculty-Staff Parking (BLUE)
Faculty and staff park in designated lots near the buildings where they have offices.
Short Term Parking (hazard lights on)
Short-term parking spaces are available on the west (fence) side of College Road south of Memorial Gate and on the east (Atkinson) side of College Road near Cabell House for faculty/staff/students/guests making brief visits to offices in the central campus. These include, but are not restricted to, the Post Office, College Store, Graham coffee shop, Business Office, and Atkinson Hall.
"Brief" means about 15 minutes. Vehicles in short-term parking without hazard lights flashing are subject to ticketing.
Guest Parking (WHITE)
All of Graham Circle is reserved exclusively for guest from 7:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
The fine for students/faculty/staff parking on Graham Circle from 7:30 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday, is $100.
Guests may also park on the east side of College Road in the area designated for Faculty/Staff/Guests and in all Open Parking.
The parking lot at Crawley Forum and the lot at Kirby Field House are open for guest parking, although not specifically marked as such.
Guests* are those neither enrolled nor employed by the College who are on campus for a short period (less than one business day) on specific business or for a meeting or event. This includes customers of the Post Office, College Store, Graham Hall coffee shop, and Tiger Inn. *this definition of a Guest is for purposes of the zone-parking plan. It does not change the official Hampden-Sydney College Visitor Policy.
Guests are expected to obey all motor vehicle regulations and are subject to ticketing and/or towing.
The parking spaces along Atkinson Avenue adjacent to College Church are Open Parking available to faculty/students/staff/guests. This is not for all-day parking. (It is for faculty or commuter students to attend a class and then leave or those who have extended business in one of the nearby buildings.)
The Bortz lot farthest from the back of the library is Open Parking available to faculty/students/staff/guests who are visiting the Library. This is not for all-day parking.
Handicapped parking is available in designated areas. The fine for parking in a handicapped space without a handicapped tag is $100, and the car is subject to towing at the owner's expense.
No Parking At Any Time
- The fine is $100, and the car is subject to towing at the owner's expense.
- Areas marked by yellow curbs or No Parking signs.
- In front of or near a fire hydrant.
- In fire lanes or in a manner that impedes access by emergency vehicles at any time for any length of time.
- The area adjacent to the Post Office loading dock. This is only for delivery and other vehicles servicing the College Store and Post Office, maintenance vehicles, and emergency vehicles. Authorized staff picking up and delivering mail from offices may use this area for short-term parking.
- The Wilson Center lot is reserved for faculty/staff /guests at all times.
- On any playing field or lawn, except at the direction of Campus Police.
- Immediately behind Venable Hall which is designated both handicapped parking and a fire lane.
- On the driveway leading to Gilkeson House (Campus Security & Police) and the service road/fire lane in front of Dickinson, Johnson and Cox Halls.
- Behind Johns Auditorium in the lane leading to the rear of the auditorium.
- On Via Sacra, except for designated special events.
- On College Road, except in those areas designated for short-term parking and designated athletic and special events.
- The entire length of Athletic Center Drive from College Road at the main gate to the Kirby Field House parking lot. (Athletic Center Drive from Atkinson Avenue the Kirby Field House parking lot is designated student parking.)\
- On the concrete pad in front of Crawley Forum. This area is for loading and unloading only.
- On any State or College road during snow emergencies, when all student vehicles must be parked in student designated areas or off the roads until all State and College roads are clear.
Restricted or Limited Parking
- Parking at the Wellness Center is for patients only (Monday - Friday). If the area is full, patients may park in the Venable lot, excluding the first row which is reserved for faculty/staff.
- The Eggleston lot is reserved for Thompson Hospitality (THC) staff at all times.
- Parking adjacent to Atkinson Avenue near College Church is reserved for College Church parking Saturdays and Sundays, although exceptions may be allowed by Campus Police.
- The parking area between Crawley Forum and Hampden House and the semi-circular drive in front of Hampden House is reserved at all times for meeting and event parking only.
- At home games, cars parked on the side of the road in the area of the Everett Stadium or Ty Cobb Ballpark and nearby roads should be moved immediately after the conclusion of the game.
- Designated loading spaces accessible by the fire lane/service road behind Cushing Hall and Carpenter Halls may be used for loading or unloading heavy and bulky items only (a 10-minute limit with hazard lights flashing), never to pick up or discharge passengers or for temporary parking while the driver is away from the vehicle. The fire lane must never be blocked.
Other Parking Guidelines
- When a student is unable for medical reasons to walk great distances, he should go to the Wellness Center where the medical staff can issue a medical parking permit. This hanging tag, which must be properly displayed, will allow him to park in handicapped spaces and guest and faculty/staff parking areas.
- During special events, parking may be allowed in areas that are normally no-parking areas. At those times, notification will be made by e-mail or posted signs when allowed.
- Student vehicles that break down while not parked in a student parking area must have a signed note of explanation on them. If they are not moved within 24 hours, they will be considered illegally parked and will be subject to ticketing and towing at the owner's expense. Keep the H-SC Police Department (6164) informed.
- Motorcycles should not be parked on the lawn, under porches or colonnades, or taken into residence halls or any other building. They should not be operated on walkways or on the lawn or fields. Motorcycles found in buildings may be confiscated by Campus Police and will not be returned until the owner pays a $50 fine.
- The property at the end of Roxbury Road is private and off-limits to students. The owner prosecutes trespassers. Violators are subject to prosecution.
Opening and Closing of School
On the days at the opening and closing of the first and second semesters, vehicles are NOT to be driven on walkways or lawns, except at the direction of Campus Police and may not be parked on walkways or lawns adjacent to parking areas or near fire hydrants or in fire lanes.