Appendix I: Housing Regulations

Residence hall life is one of the most valuable experiences of a student's college years. This environment of close association provides an opportunity to learn to balance properly the opposing claims of individual freedom and the rights of others. One element of good citizenship is sensitivity to the rights of others. Thus, you should be open to the requests of others to stop behavior that infringes on their rights. Even more desirable is the development of a sense of self-discipline so that you are intuitively aware that certain acts (e.g., loud playing of music) are ruled out because you know that they are bothersome to others.

A student may have his privilege to live on campus withdrawn for a specified period for any infraction of regulations which indicates unsatisfactory citizenship in the residence hall or fraternity house. In this event, the student may be removed from his campus housing, with no refund of residence hall rent or change in his boarding contract allowed. He may have to live off campus if he is to remain enrolled in the College or he may be banned from his place of residence for specific hours of each day. In the event that he withdraws from the College, there shall be no refund. Written application for permission to live on campus again must be submitted to and approved by the Director of Residence Life.

Disregard of the following standards, as well as other rules, may subject individuals and entire halls or sections of residence halls to disciplinary action. The entire Code of Student Conduct applies.  All students should be familiar with the rules stated in the annual Housing Agreement.

Fraternity house managers must live in their respective houses for the academic year.

1. Housing Policy

Hampden-Sydney College has a four-year residential requirement.  Only registered students and College-assigned occupants may reside in College-owned facilities. All students are required to live on campus unless they have received a formal exemption from the College's housing policy. Exemptions are granted for the following reasons

  • Student is married, and commuting to campus from a home shared with a spouse
  • Student lives with parents and is commuting to campus from family home
  • Student has completed eight, full-time (12 credit hours or more) semesters at Hampden-Sydney College

The College may make exceptions to this housing policy for students wishing to live off campus, normally only when enrollment exceeds housing capacity. A limited number of off-campus housing assignments (third party landlord) are made available each year in the online room choosing process outlined under Housing Assignments. Students are advised that signing a lease or rental agreement with a third party landlord does not exempt them from the College's Housing Policy, and leases or rental agreements should not be signed unless an off-campus housing assignment has already been obtained during the annual housing selection process.

Housing Assignments
The College tries to grant the preference of each student in making housing assignments and roommate pairings. However, there may be occasions where some assignments have to be changed in the interest of the total housing program.

The Director of Residence Life assigns roommates for freshmen. Mutual roommate requests submitted by June 1 will be granted.

Housing assignments for upperclassmen are determined by the online room choosing process. The rising senior with the highest overall academic standing is given the first chance to make a housing selection. Selection times then run down through the classes in order of credit hours earned and cumulative grade point average.

The demand for space in College housing is typically greater than the supply of rooms available during housing selection.  If all housing options have been claimed during a student's selection time, he will sign a To be Announced (TBA) Housing Contract.  Students who sign a TBA Housing Contract will have their housing assignment made by the Director of Residence Life before the start of the Fall Semester. TBA assignments will be based on available housing options and the requests made by the student. More information about this process is available on the Residence Life website.

Room Changes
Requests for room changes should be initiated with a student's current resident advisor. Room changes must be formally approved by the Director of Residence Life or his designee before a student begins to relocate.

According to the Housing Agreement, unapproved room changes will result in a fine of up to $300.  There is no charge for approved room changes.

Only under special circumstances will freshmen be allowed to make a room change before November 1.  

2. Social Regulations

Visitation Responsibilities
A roommate's right to free access to his room at all times must not be abrogated by visitation by guests. A roommate's concurrence is necessary in order for a room to be used for visitation. A roommate must not be deprived of his right to privacy, study time, or sleep because of a guest.

There are to be no organized parties, kegs of beer, or other common-container alcohol in residence halls without the permission of the Dean of Students or the Director of Residence Life. This rule does not preclude groups or couples from getting together in a room on Friday or Saturday nights; however, they should not be noisy, should respect the rights of others, and should obey the law and alcohol policy. Socializing in rooms should be limited to no more than twelve people. Those who live in fraternity houses or campus cottages with adequate common space may host larger groups. The rule does mean that no one may organize a party or invite persons to a social function in or around a residence hall without submitting a party registration form according to College policy and gaining the approval of the Director of Residence Life.

College policy prohibits the drinking of alcoholic beverages in public on the campus or in College buildings. No alcoholic beverages-in either primary or secondary containers-may be present or consumed in public areas (halls, porches, etc.) in or around residence halls, and no alcohol may be provided or served by persons responsible for an approved, organized social activity or party.

Noise Level
At all times, especially on weeknights, the noise level in and around fraternity houses and residence halls shall be such that it neither disturbs neighbors nor keeps fellow students from their right to have quiet for study and rest.

The noise level should never be excessive in residence halls. Students, with the assistance of Resident Advisors, are responsible for keeping order and maintaining quiet. In fraternities, the president should be responsible for enforcement. If the problem cannot be handled at this level, the offender(s) should be reported to the Dean of Students. Specifically in regard to music and video games, while there is no desire to keep a student from enjoying his sound equipment, limits must be set which allow other students the freedom to study or sleep in the comfort of their rooms, free from outside disturbance. Abuse of the privilege to use a music player or game console will lead to restrictions or to the withdrawal of the privilege to have such equipment in the residence halls. This decision is made by the Dean of Students and the Chairman of the Student Court.