Decisions and Options of redress for an alleged Sexual Assault/Sexual Misconduct Victim
2. Medical Concerns
4. College Discipline
6. Civil Action
Students or guests who have been sexually assaulted have a number of resources and courses of action available to them. It should be stressed that seeking assistance does not obligate you to take further action.
Depending on the circumstances and your wishes, one or more of the following courses of action may be open to you:
If you were assaulted in a residence hall or if your assailant lives in the same residence hall, contact the Dean of Students Office so that modifications in living arrangements can be made.
The Emergency Room personnel at Centra Southside Community Hospital in Farmville can provide you with immediate medical attention and provide information and assistance with concerns about pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Personnel in the Student Health Center are available on a non-emergency basis to provide support, information, and assistance.
Counselors are available for immediate concerns. However, victims who are non-students are expected to use resources in their home or college communities for long-term concerns.
You can proceed against the alleged assailant by requesting an investigation under the Hampden-Sydney College Code of Student Conduct policies and procedures. To initiate this procedure, contact David A. Klein, Dean of Students, (434) 223-6128.
You can report the alleged assault to the police. Reporting an alleged assault does not mean you have to prosecute, and you may not feel prepared to make that decision right away. However, a delayed report could result in the loss of physical evidence which could be vital in court proceedings. If you report to the police, the decision to continue the legal proceedings is yours. Campus Police officers are available to assist you in notifying authorities.
- If the alleged assault occurred on campus, you should report to the Campus Security at (434) 223-6164 or 911 (the 911 dispatcher will contact Campus Police personnel if you are unable to reach them).
- If the alleged assault occurred in the Town of Farmville, you should call the Farmville Police Department at (434) 392-3332.
- If the alleged assault occurred elsewhere in Prince Edward County, you should call the Prince Edward County Sheriff’s Department at (434) 392-8101.
- You can choose to report the alleged assault to any of the above departments anonymously.
- You can choose not to report the alleged assault to the police.
- Even if you choose not to report right away, you can change your mind and report later.
- If you are uncertain about whether the alleged assault occurred on campus, in the Town of Farmville, or in Prince Edward County, please contact Campus Police at (434) 223-6164 for assistance.
An individual who has allegedly been sexually assaulted may have a civil cause of action against the alleged assailant. If you wish to explore this option, you should consult private counsel. The Virginia Legal Aid Society at (434) 392-8108 can help you identify a lawyer who can explore this option with you.