Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
In 2011-12, H-SC students received aid totaling over $29 million.
Interfraternity Council Policy on Fraternity-Organized and Authorized "Pledge Trips"
Interfraternity Council Policy On Fraternity-Organized and Authorized "Pledge Trips"
The Interfraternity Council of Hampden-Sydney College recognizes the potential positive aspects of fraternity "pledge trips." Such pledge trips are defined as trips organized by a fraternity in which pledges shall voluntarily visit another chapter of the respective fraternity. The pledges shall leave on the trip only after appropriate arrangements have been made and approved by the Assistant Dean of Students.
The purposes of such pledge trips shall include:
- Promoting interaction between Hampden-Sydney fraternities and their brother chapters.
- Promoting unification of the pledge class.
- Enhancing the pledges' understandings of other educational institutions and other fraternity systems.
- Bringing about a better understanding of Hampden-Sydney College and her fraternity system to the visited colleges and universities.
The Interfraternity Council of Hampden-Sydney College, in order to ensure the safety of its members and the reputations of the College and the Council, does hereby establish the following criteria for all "pledge trips" which must be strictly adhered to:
- Neither the operator nor the passengers of a vehicle shall drink alcoholic beverages nor be under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drugs while travelling during the course of this trip.
- All national, state, and local laws shall be abided by in addition to all applicable rules and regulations of the host institution.
- The pledge trainer or another responsible representative of the fraternity is required to accompany the pledges on this trip and to oversee their actions.
- All actions which can be characterized as hazing (whether directed by the chapter or the host institution's chapter) shall be strictly forbidden.
- No coercive, illegal acts will be tolerated. Pledges of each respective fraternity shall remember that they are representatives of Hampden-Sydney College and their respective fraternities and that they shall act accordingly.
Passed by the IFC, Fall 1986