Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
Each year Hampden-Sydney enrolls about 50 Freshman Honor Scholars.
Private Consumption of Alcohol
1. A student of legal age may possess and consume alcohol within his or another student's residence hall room, apartment, suite, cottage, or fraternity house room unless the building or section has been designated as dry. This is considered an individual action, not part of an organized function; nevertheless, compliance with the law is expected.
2. No consumption of alcohol or transportation of an open primary or secondary alcohol container is permitted in unlicensed public areas. This means none of the above can take place in halls, lounges, lobbies, study or computer rooms, meeting rooms, laundry rooms, television rooms, bathrooms, porches, patios, yards, lawns, or parking lots of residence halls. Violators are subject to disciplinary action.
3. Persons in an informal social gathering where alcohol is present and consumed, even though the number present is below the number requiring registration (more than twelve), are expected to comply with the College Alcohol Policy, the law, etc.
4. Individuals are subject to disciplinary action for drinking if they are underage and/or if their behavior while drinking, or as a result of drinking, even in private, brings them to the attention of anyone in authority (an RA, for instance). Anyone furnishing alcohol to an underage person in this context is also subject to disciplinary action.
5. Groups that permit underage drinking are also subject to disciplinary action.
6. No kegs of beer, party balls, or common containers of alcoholic beverages of any kind are allowed.