Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
Each year Hampden-Sydney enrolls about 50 Freshman Honor Scholars.
Zone Parking Plan
The assigned zone parking traffic plan was developed because of the increasing concern about pollution, the need to conserve energy, the desire to maintain the natural beauty of the campus, and the recognition that the elimination of unnecessary on-campus driving would help restore the desirable ambience that comes with foot and bicycle traffic. All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to walk or ride bicycles rather than to use motor vehicles.
"Zone" parking means that students are to park in assigned areas, generally near their residences, during these hours: Monday through Thursday from 7 am to 5 pm, and from 7 am to 1:30 pm on Fridays. Any vehicle may be parked in any legitimate parking area on Saturdays and Sundays (except during certain special events, in which case prohibited areas will be marked with temporary signs). The zone parking plan is also in effect during examination periods.
Residence Hall (Student) Parking Zones
- Blake Apartment residents (B coded decal) are restricted to parking in the lot beside Buildings B and D or in the lot behind Building E.
- Residents of Cushing Hall and Carpenter Houses (C coded decal) park in the Carpenter lots behind North House of Whitehouse Hall.
- Crawley Forum area residents (N coded decal) park in the lot behind Crawley Forum and below C Building.
- Students living on Fraternity Circle, including residents of Burrell House (F coded decal), park only near their residence within this zone.
- Residents of the Hampden House units (H coded decal) park in the lots behind their residence halls and in Carpenter lots; no motor vehicle should ever be operated or parked on the walkways in front of these buildings, except for loading or unloading purposes at the beginning and closing of each semester.
- Students living in Reed House may park in the lot at the house in marked spaces on a first come, first serve basis. Overflow is in lower Venable.
- Students living off campus (O coded decal) park in Elliott and lower Venable lots.
- Chi Phi and Chi Phi annex residents (X coded decal) park in the resident lot behind Venable Hall or behind the house, as space allows.
- Venable Hall residents (V coded decal) park only in the Venable resident lots.
- Residents of Whitehouse Hall (W coded decal) park in the designated spaces of the Whitehouse circle or in the Carpenter lots behind North House of Whitehouse Hall.
- Residents of Elliott House (E coded decal) may park at their house.
- Students living in Joyner and Thompson houses may park in marked spaces on a first come, first serve basis. Overflow is in lower Venable.
Faculty and staff park in lots assigned to the buildings in which they work.
Visitors are expected to obey all motor vehicle regulations and are subject to ticketing and/or towing as if they were college residents. Visiting students are required to park in the designated visitor spaces on College Road. Other visitors may park in the visitor spaces on College Road and in the parking lots of Winston Hall, Gilmer Hall, the Blake Apartments, the Bortz Library, and lower Venable.
Handicapped parking is available in designated areas, including the following:
South side of the Eggleston Library; west side of Johns Auditorium; behind Graham Hall; the lower dining hall road; behind Venable Hall; Kirby Field House; behind Gammon Gym; Atkinson Hall; Winston Hall; and behind Gilmer Hall.
Other Parking Guidelines
During construction, some rules may be changed as needs dictate.
When a student is unable, because of medical problems, to walk great distances, he may obtain a medical parking permit from the Security Office that will allow him to park out of his usual zone.
During special events, parking may be allowed in areas that are normally "No Parking" areas. At those times, notification will be made in College publications or posted signs when practical.
Vehicles that break down while parked out of zone or not in a legitimate parking space must have a signed note of explanation on them. If they are not moved within 24 hours of the time they become illegally parked, they are subject to ticketing, towing, and being stored at the owner's expense.
Motorcycles should not be parked on the lawn, under porches, or under the colonnades, or taken into residence halls or any other building. They should not be operated on walkways or on the grounds. Motorcycles found in buildings may be confiscated by Buildings and Grounds, where they will be returned to the owner on payment of a $50 fine.
The property at the end of Black Bottom Road is private and off-bounds to students. The owner prosecutes trespassers.
Vehicles parked in locations other than those marked "Designated Spaces" in the Morton Faculty/Staff lot are considered parked in a no parking zone. Exceptions may be granted with prior approval of the Campus Security Department.
Vehicles parked with any portion of the vehicle on an unpaved area are considered parked on lawns, sidewalks, fields, etc.
There is no parking in these areas (vehicles towed at owner's expense):
- In areas marked by no-parking signs or yellow curbs.
- In handicapped spaces, in front of or near fire hydrants, in fire lanes (the dining hall, Forum area, Hampden Units, Cushing Hall and Carpenter residence hall access roads), or in a manner that impedes access by emergency vehicles.
- Except at certain times of the year (see "Exceptions" below), on the private drive leading to Gilkeson House and the service road-fire lane in front of Dickinson, Johnson and F halls.
- The area behind Graham Hall (reserved for authorized vehicles at all times).
- From 7 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 7 am to 1 pm on Saturday, no parking in spaces next to Graham marked "For Admissions Office Only."
- Behind Johns Auditorium, or in the lane leading to the rear of the auditorium. Vehicles also should not be parked on the sidewalk leading to the front entrance to Johns, or block access to that sidewalk.
- On any State or College road during snow emergencies, when all vehicles must be parked in residence hall lots or off the roads until all State and College roads are clear.
- On the concrete pad adjacent to the road in front of Crawley Forum. This area is for loading and unloading passengers only.
- The entire length of the road that runs from outside the gates on College Road to just past Kirby Field House.
- On any playing field, including the golf driving range and intramural fields, except at the direction of Campus Security. (Parking for the golf driving range is located in the Varsity Tennis Court parking lot, not on the shoulder beside the range.)
- No parking on Via Sacra
- On College Road except in those areas designated visitor parking.
- Between 7 am and 5 pm, Monday-Friday, there should be no student parking in parking areas reserved for faculty, staff, or visitors.
Restricted or Limited Parking
Park only in marked spaces in lots designated by curbs or barriers.
In the Graham Hall Circle area, parking is permitted in designated spaces only, not along the curved perimeter of the Circle. You may park in the designated "Post Office Parking" spaces near the Admissions Office for fifteen minutes only.
There are marked parking spaces offering limited parking (15-minute maximum) in the Eggleston lot and on College Road beside Atkinson Hall and Cabell House (Business Office) for students and others who need to conduct business in those buildings.
Parking at the Wellness Center is for patients only.
The parking area between Crawley Forum and Hampden House is, at all times, for meeting and event parking only.
Parking adjacent to College Church on both sides of Atkinson Avenue is reserved for church functions only, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Faculty-Staff parking only in the first row behind Venable Hall, Monday-Friday, 7 am-5 pm.
The parking lot northwest of Morton Hall and accessible by the road leading to Whitehouse Residence Halls is for faculty-staff parking only Monday-Friday 7 am to 5 pm. Non-faculty-staff vehicles parked there during the above times are subject to ticketing and/or towing. Student and student-visitor parking may also be prohibited on weekends during certain special events; temporary signs will be posted on these occasions. Parking in the Gilmer Hall lot is restricted to the paved area.
At home football games, cars parked on the side of the road in the area of the stadium and nearby roads should be moved immediately after the conclusion of the game.
Designated loading spaces accessible by the fire lane-service road behind Cushing Hall and Carpenter Residence Halls may be used for loading or unloading heavy and bulky items only (a 10-minute limit with hazard lights flashing), never to pick up or discharge passengers or for temporary parking while the driver is away from the vehicle. The fire lane must never be blocked.
Parking Exceptions at Opening and Close of School
On the days at the opening and closing of school in the fall and spring semesters, you may, for no more than 60 minutes, park your vehicle as near to your room as possible to unload (but not on walkways or lawns). You should park in a regular space as soon as you have loaded or unloaded. Students who live in the Crawley Forum area residence halls may park on the gravel road beside the walk in front of Dickinson, Johnson, and F halls only while loading or unloading, and only on days at the opening and closing of school in the fall and spring semesters.
Care should be taken not to drive onto the lawn area or damage the lawn, especially in wet weather. Other than the (grassy) service road to Dickinson, Johnson, and F halls no one should ever drive or park on lawns while moving in or out (minimum of $30 fine).