Office of Student Affairs
P.O. Box 5
Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
Hampden-Sydney has chapters of Phi Beta Kappa and Omicron Delta Kappa.
Fitness Center Facilities
The Fitness Center, home of Tiger Recreation-Fitness & Sports, in Kirby Field House, is designed to promote a healthy lifestyle in a relaxing atmosphere. For your cardiovascular workout, the Center includes Cardio-Theatre system with seven 32" televisions that offer viewing to seven treadmills, six elliptical trainers, five bicycles, two stairclimbers, and one Concept II rower.
The Fitness Center also caters to the weightlifter with a complete line of free weight equipment, Hammer Strength systems and LifeFitness selectorized equipment. There is also a place to work the important core muscles (abs, lower back, etc.).
The Aerobics Room (located on the second floor) is stocked with the latest group exercise and personal use fitness equipments. There are three refurbished racquetball courts. Leggett Pool is also available and provides excellent exercise opportunities.
FITNESS CENTER GENERAL POLICIES
• The Fitness Center is a controlled access facility. Only authorized users are allowed entry and must enter and exit through the Control desk.
• Responsibility for general supervision of building, fitness area, and racquetball courts rests with the staff members and supervisors directly in charge of the activity or area. Students provide primary supervision for the facility and act with the full authority of the Fitness Center Director. Harassment or disregard of the directions provided by the staff will result in immediate removal from the facility and may result in additional disciplinary action.
• Profane or indecent language is inappropriate.
• Appropriate attire is necessary to gain access to the fitness center. Shirts and shoes are required to be worn in all non-aquatic activity area. The College reserves the right to determine what constitutes appropriate attire.
• The possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs (steroids, inhibitors, etc.) is not permitted. The use of tobacco products including smokeless tobacco is not permitted in the building.
• Food may not be consumed outside the lounge/vending area. Beverages are permitted in the activity areas only if contained in a re-sealable, non-glass container.
• Animals are not permitted in the building.
The courts are open to all members. From 4 pm-7 pm only students, faculty, and staff can reserve the courts. Reservations may be made no more than 48 hours in advance of the day that court time is requested, and no later than 2 pm of the same day. Reservations are made in 30-minute increments-maximum of 2 consecutive 30-minute reservations. If courts have not been reserved, members may use them on a first come, first served basis. Eye protection and safety cords must be used. Courts are reserved by calling ext. 6699.
LEGGETT POOL GENERAL POLICIES
• All patrons must enter through the Fitness Center
• No one is allowed in the pool unless a lifeguard is on duty
• Horseplay, such as running, shoving, and dunking are no permitted
• Diving is permitted only in designated areas and may be restricted at any time for any reason. Young children must be supervised when using the diving board
• Large inner tubes and floats are not permitted
• An adult must accompany children wearing water wings or infant/child floatation devices
• No one should hang, sit, or stand on the ropes dividing the swimming lanes
• Food, glass containers, and metal objects are not permitted in the pool area
• Persons with sores are not permitted in the pool
• Appropriate swim attire must be worn. Infants and toddlers must wear water appropriate diapers
• No alcohol
• Patrons MUST take showers prior to swimming in the pool
KIRK ATHLETIC CENTER
Priorities for Use of Facilities
1. In-season intercollegiate sports
2. Club sports/intramural sports
4. Faculty and staff (and their families), alumni, and friends
Policies and Procedures
• Snyder may be used for basketball, dodge ball, volleyball, weight lifting, fencing, or aerobics. Fencing must be supervised by qualified personnel.
• No food, beverages, gum, or smoking allowed in the building.
Kirk Weight Room
Policies and Procedures
• Weights should be returned to the rack.
• Weights should not be dropped.
• All users are required to clean up after themselves.
• No food, beverages, gum, or smoking.
• Must have supervisor at all times.