The Wellness Center
Student Health Services has limited summer hours. Please feel free to leave a message at (434) 223-6167 or contact Beth Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are in need of immediate medical attention please dial 911
, campus security at (434) 223-6164, or go to the Emergency Room at Centra Southside Community Hospital at 800 Oak Street, Farmville, VA 23901.
For routine medical care, please contact Dr. Corbett at 434-392-9366. Be aware you will need to provide your insurance information.
Suicide Prevention LIFELINE, Call 1-800-273-8255
Resources for grieving college students
A Friend Asks, an app for helping a friend who may be in crisis
Check out our SLEEP WELL CAMPAIGN
Listen to a short relaxation activity (mp3 4Mb)
The mission of the Wellness Center is to promote healthy living in the students, faculty and staff of Hampden-Sydney College. In recognition of this mission the Wellness Center will:
- Provide treatment to students in the areas of general health, mental health and substance abuse.
- Encourage good health practices including good physical health, mental health and avoidance of substance abuse.
- Serve as a resource to students, faculty and staff in the areas of health, mental health and substance abuse.
- Strive to develop in students, faculty and staff healthy lifestyles that will contribute to the mission of the college and to the overall success of students.
The Wellness Center is here to assist you with enhancing your emotional and physical well-being at Hampden-Sydney. Call or come by. We can help with your health concerns, mental health concerns, or substance use/abuse concerns.
Sherry R. Dyche Ceperich, Ph.D., Director
Adrienne Traylor, Secretary
204 College Road
Offices are open Monday–Friday: 7:30 am–5 pm; Evening counseling available
IMPORTANT: Since e-mails may not be checked regularly, please do NOT use e-mail to convey emergency information.
Medical emergency or accident - Call 911
- Timothy W. Corbett, M.D., College Contract Physician
- Beth P. Graham, BSN, RN-BC, Director of Student Health
- Barbara P. Kiewiet de Jonge, BSN, RN-BC, Primary College Health Nurse
- C. Denise Faircloth, LPN, Nurse, Receptionist
Offices are open Monday-Friday: 7:30 am-4 pm
- Shawn White, M.A., Assistant Dean for Substance Education
Substance education is provided to increase the level of knowledge for every student of the basic trends associated with drug use, abuse, dependency, and risk factors. By providing a variety of educational opportunities for students and student groups, students make healthier, informed decisions, and set this example for others to follow.Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 am-5 pm
- Sherry R. Dyche Ceperich, Ph.D., Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Wellness Center Director
- Heather B. Hammock,M.Ed., College Counselor
- Steven L. Carter, FNP-BC, Psychiatric Services
Counseling services are provided to assist students with their adjustment to college life and their resolution of personal concerns.Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 am-5 pm
Student Care Team and Expressing a Concern about a Student