For medical or mental health emergencies after hours, please call Hampden-Sydney College Campus Police at (434) 223-6164 and provide your name, exact location, and the nature of your emergency. Call even if you are uncertain as to whether it is a true emergency. If indicated, the Police will then contact the on-call counselor.
If you are having thoughts of suicide or any type of harming self or others - or if you are a witness, hear, or see anyone exhibiting suicidal warning signs - GET HELP IMMEDIATELY.
If the risk seems imminent:
- Call Campus Police (434) 223-6164. Campus Police will respond and involve other resources as needed.
- If you are off campus, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room (the closest to H-SC is Centra Southside Community Hospital).
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK). Anyone may call this national hotline at any time regarding concerns about suicide risk for yourself or someone else.
- The National Hopeline, 1-800-784-2433
- The Mental Health America Warmline, 1-866-400-6428
If the risk does not seem imminent:
- To get help for a student who may be at risk of suicide when the risk does not seem imminent, please relay your concerns as soon as possible via the Student Care Team. This student will be contacted by the appropriate resources on the next business day.
- During weekdays, students or concerned others may call Counseling Services to consult with a staff member at (434) 223-6411. Please see Counseling Services Hours of Operation.