Fitness, Nutrition and Wellness
It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to maintain a healthy and nutritious diet, exercise regulary, and strive to live a holistically well lifestyle. The Wellness Center staff can help you achieve the goal of living well and answer questions regarding health and nutrition. In addition, you will be able to explore the other dimensions of wellness (spiritual, social, occupational, etc.).
A few facts about nutrition:
- Healthy eating is associated with reduced risk for many diseases, including several of the leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.
- The recommended diet includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free and low-fat dairy products. Limit intake of solid fats, cholesterol, sodium, added sugars, and refined grains.
- Healthy eating helps reduce one's risk for developing obesity, osteoporosis, iron deficiency, and dental cavities.
- Individuals who eat fast food one or more times per week are at increased risk for weight gain, overweight, and obesity.
- Eating a healthy breakfast is associated with improved cognitive function (especially memory), reduced absenteeism, and improved mood.
A few facts about fitness:
- Regular physical activity helps build and maintain healthy bones and muscles, reduce the risk of obesity and chronic diseases, and reduces feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Regular physical activity improved academic performance, concentration and attentiveness.
For more information, please schedule an appointment with Counseling Services.