Stomach Virus Information
Preventing a stomach virus:
- Wash you hands often and thoroughly (hand sanitizers should not be used as a substitute for hand-washing)
- Clean and disinfect surfaces often
- Wash contaminated laundry
- Do NOT share food or drinks
Caring for yourself if you are ill:
- To prevent dehydration, make sure to drink plenty of liquids, especially water and juices. Avoid sugary drinks, which can make diarrhea worse, as well as alcohol and caffeinated beverages, which can dehydrate you further.
- Symptoms of dehydration include dizziness when standing, dry mouth, and a decrease in urination. If severe dehydration develops, you may need to visit the ER to receive fluids. Severe dehydration is sometimes treated with intravenous (IV) fluids.