October 01, 2011
The Garden Club of Virginia has announced that it will make a special gift to Hampden-Sydney College of the restoration of the area between and surrounding two of the College's historical buildings, "The Birthplace" and Atkinson Hall. Once the plantation office of Captain Nathaniel Venable at his estate about three miles south of campus, The Birthplace was the site of the founding of the College in 1775. Atkinson Hall was built in 1834 to house faculty of Union Theological Seminary Faculty, which was founded at Hampden-Sydney and later moved to Richmond. It houses the offices of the President, Dean of the Faculty, and the Registrar. Restoration work will begin in spring 2012.