On November 10, 1775, in Prince Edward County, Virginia, Hampden-Sydney College held its first day of classes. The Board of Trustees for the new College announced that Hampden-Sydney was created "to form good men and good citizens." That statement has remained unchanged and unrivaled to this day.
One prominent member of that Board was American patriot Patrick Henry. Henry, a son of Southside Virginia, so believed in the mission of Hampden-Sydney that he sent six of his sons to the College. In that spirit, we are pleased to offer the Southside Achievers Guaranteed Admission "SAGA" Program enabling young men from the Southside Virginia area to follow in the footsteps of the Henry family and take full advantage of the educational opportunity located in their own backyard, while creating their own saga at Hampden-Sydney College.
- Attend a high school (public or private), or Homeschool, in the following counties: Amelia, Appomattox, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Nottoway, and Prince Edward.
- Master a solid, demanding, college-preparatory program that includes four units of English, two units of one foreign language, three units of mathematics (Algebra I and II, and Geometry), two units of natural science (to include a lab), and one unit of social science.
- Achieve a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.3 and 1100 on the SAT (or 23 composite on the ACT).*
- Exhibit the qualities of a good man and good citizen.
After completing the Application for Admission to the College, students who meet these four requirements will not only be guaranteed admission, but will also receive at least $12,000 in academic grant to assist with tuition and fees. Candidates who meet the criteria for a higher academic scholarship will receive that in lieu of the $12,000 grant.
[Additional funding beyond this award is possible through our regular financial aid program, based on a student's financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Candidates are also eligible for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) from the state of Virginia. For the 2019-2020 school year, this award will be $3,400.]
* Students who do not meet the qualifications for this guaranteed program are strongly encouraged to apply for admission to Hampden-Sydney College through the regular admissions process.