For information on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act grants to students, please visit our CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students page.
Here are highlights of other recent awards that Hampden-Sydney College has received.
- In July 2020, the Jessie Ball duPont Fund awarded H-SC a grant to investigate the significance of the newspaper The Voice of Prince Edward County, which was published in the period immediately following the Prince Edward County, Virginia, school closings of 1959-64. From July 2020 to June 2021, the Center for Public History and Bortz Library will aim to: improve access to and the discoverability of the publication; provide context for the paper; learn more about the impact of the school closings on the community in the mid- to late 1960s; and engage H-SC students as members of this local community.
- In summer 2020, three students received funding from the Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges (VFIC) for their undergraduate science research.
- Also in summer 2020, H-SC received a Capital Project Grant from VFIC for a pipeline inspection camera system as part of preparations for construction of the Pauley Science Center.
- In May 2020, the Office of Student Affairs received a grant from PepsiCo Recycling to purchase water refilling stations and recycling bins for plastic beverage containers, with a goal to reduce single-use plastics.
- In May 2020, the Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission’s Competitive Education grant program awarded H-SC funding to purchase equipment for the new computer lab that will be part of the Pauley Science Center.
- In December 2019, H-SC’s Esther Thomas Atkinson Museum received a charitable award from the S. Mason and Lula Cole Charitable Trust to continue the upgrading of the museum building’s environmental control and storage, development of student exhibits, and other activities.
- In December 2019, we received an award from the Community Foundation for a greater Richmond towards the Glenn Hurt Annual Scholarship Fund.
- In November 2019, the Learning by Giving Foundation awarded a grant for the course Philanthropy in Theory and Practice, taught by Dr. Saranna Thornton, Elliott Professor of Economics and Business.
- In June 2019, the Department of Public Safety and Police received a Community Service Grant from Walmart.
- In June 2019, Dr. Kristian Hargadon, Elliott Associate Professor of Biology, received a Mary Louise Olds Andrews Award for Cancer Research from the Virginia Academy of Science.