Hampden-Sydney College Resident Advisors are prominent student leaders selected and hired only after an extensive application and interview process which takes place each year in February. They attend a training workshop in August before students arrive on campus. All students interested should talk to their current RA about becoming a Resident Advisor or contact the Director of Residence Life.

Resident Advisors are assigned to each area of the Freshman residence halls and throughout upper class residence halls. They are there to help you if you have any apprehension or questions about student or residence hall life. You should not hesitate to contact your RA for any reason.

Your RA is there if you need to talk about personal problems, academic problems, or anything that might be of concern to you.

If you experience problems with your roommate please feel free to discuss this with your RA.

You should contact your RA if you need to report damage in your living area (room, bath or hall).

If you are locked out of your room, contact your RA. If he is not available, you should contact another RA or Campus Police to gain access into your room. (You should contact Buildings and Grounds if you lose your key. You will be fined if you lose or fail to return your key when you change rooms or leave the College.)

Your RA is always open to suggestions for hall or community service projects.

Please refer to your copy of The Key to learn who the Resident Advisor will be in your living area. He will be on hand to meet and help you when you move in during Freshman matriculation in August.

RA Job Description


Before you begin will need to have the following things:

  1. Three references (and different categories)
    1. Name
    2. Title
    3. Email Address
  2. Essay (< 300 words)
  3. Recent photo
  4. Unofficial Transcript from TigerWeb