Staff employees may attend other local educational institutions offering classes that meet job-related needs and that are not offered at the College. The benefit applies to undergraduate courses only (no graduate courses), and is not intended to enable staff to pursue degrees or certificates that may improve an individual's professional development but are not required in the position. This benefit is not extended to summer sessions or any intersessions that are billed separately from the normal semester bills. The following conditions apply:
- Courses must be taken at an accredited institution and are normally taken on the employee's own time. If work-release time is granted, the hours must be made up during the same workweek, or earned leave time must be used.
- Employees may seek reimbursement only for courses that are directly related to their current position.
- Reimbursement for incurred educational expenses is limited to the total amount of tuition costs and laboratory fees, less any tuition assistance or educational aid that the employee may be eligible to receive. The Department of Human Resources provides the amount allowed per year for each individual employee. This amount is indexed annually at the same percentage rate as the College's tuition rate. No reimbursement will be made for books, instruments, activity fees, library fees, transportation, or other expenses.
- The College will pay only for classes that the employee successfully completes with a grade of "C" or better.
- Within the dollar limits, employees taking classes during working hours may seek reimbursement for no more than one (1) course per semester. Employees taking classes after normal working hours may seek reimbursement for no more than two (2) courses per semester.
- Separation from employment with the College terminates any eligibility for this program. The College must be reimbursed for any funds it has expended if separation occurs prior to the completion of the course(s).
- Approval for participation in this program must be granted in advance of the start of the classes in order for the participant to be reimbursed. Application made after the start of classes may not be approved.