The College will reimburse faculty and staff for approved travel and transportation expenses incurred during approved College-related travel.  Employees are expected to fully account for all expenses in order to receive College funds regardless of the funding source.  Reimbursement from a grant or contract may impose additional terms and conditions beyond those stated here.

Allowable Expenses

Transportation - Employees are expected to travel by the most direct, economical, and expeditious means of transportation available.

  • Air travel is restricted to coach, tourist, and other economy plans when available.  If first-class accommodations must be used, an explanation must accompany the travel expense report.
  • The use of rental cars is limited to situations where commercial transportation facilities are not available or their use is impractical.  NOTE:  Rental car insurance should not be purchased, as the College's insurance coverage is sufficient.  Mid-sized vehicles should be used as they represent the best combination of safety and economy.
  • The use of a personal automobile on College business will be reimbursed at the current College rate per mile, plus bridge, tunnel and highway tolls, and parking fees.  The Business Office can provide the current mileage rate.  No additional allowances are provided for car expenses.  Personal vehicles may be used for travel to and from airports, and the College will pay for mileage, tolls, and parking fees.
  • Taxis or limousines are allowed between terminals and hotels or places of business.  Shared use of taxis and limousines is encouraged and should be practiced where practicable.

Meals and Lodging - Individuals traveling on College business may be reimbursed for related expenses of meals and lodging, but not personal expenses.  Although maximum reimbursement limits will not normally be imposed, it is expected that those traveling on College business will use prudence in keeping costs to a reasonable level.

Other Allowable Expenses include:

  • Passport and visa costs
  • Telephone tolls or calls for College business; College-assigned phone cards should be used for the lowest fees
  • Registration fees
  • Travelers check fees
  • Reasonable and necessary expenses for laundry for trips that exceed one week. 

Non-Allowable Expenses

  • Travel costs of spouse and dependents.
  • Personal telephone calls or tolls.
  • Personal expenses for entertainment.
  • Trip life insurance individually purchased.  The College provides accidental death and dismemberment insurance to all full-time faculty and staff members while traveling for the College.
  • Traffic tickets, motor club memberships, babysitting fees, and valet parking fees.
  • Personal Articles

Payment Procedures

A complete report detailing the use of College funds must be submitted to the Business Office no later than ten working days following the completion of travel.  This applies whether the traveler is reporting on the use of a travel advance or requesting reimbursement of personal funds.  A College Travel Expense Report form must be used to document travel expenses incurred by College travelers.  (Forms may be secured online or from the Business Office. )

All travel and related expenses must be itemized on the Travel Expense Report.  Receipts, paid bills or similar evidence must be attached to the Travel Expense Report to support all expenditures for lodging, travel, and other costs of $20.00 or more.  Original documentation must be attached to the Travel Expense Report.  Photocopies should not be used.

The supervisor of the traveler should review the Travel Expense Report for funding availability, compliance with College travel policy, propriety of the travel expenses, and completeness of documentation.  All Travel Expense Report forms submitted must include the account number for the appropriate funding source and the date the report is filed.

When completed, the Travel Expense Report should be signed and sent to the Business Office, where it will be checked for completeness of documentation, accuracy, and compliance with the College travel policy.  Questions regarding payment should be directed to the Accounts Payable Coordinator in the Business Office.

Travel Advances

The College provides travel advances where there is a need for cash to be used on a College-related trip.  Advances may be in the form of cash or checks issued to the traveler.  Advances in the form of a check may be requested by submitting a Miscellaneous Check Request form to the Business Office (Accounts Payable Coordinator) at least ten working days prior to the date the advance is needed.  Advances in the form of cash may be obtained at the Business Office (Cashier's desk) during normal hours of operation; are limited to $300 per trip; and are dependent on the availability of cash at the time of the request.  Travel advances may not be issued until all previously issued advances have been cleared.

Travel advances are charged to the traveler's personal advances line.  Upon return and submission of approved documentation, the advance will be transferred to the appropriate departmental account.  If expenses exceed the amount of the advance, the traveler will receive a check for the additional amount.  If expenses are below the amount of the advance, the individual must refund to the College any excess when documentation is submitted to the Business Office.  Any cash advance not accounted for will remain on the personal advances line, and the individual will be expected to repay the full amount.


All requests for exceptions to this policy must be submitted in advance, in writing, to the College Business Operations Manager.  All documentation approving an exception must be submitted with the Expense Report.