Campus Resources

Athletic Events - Tickets
Admission to athletic events is free to staff members with the exception of NCAA- sanctioned events. During football season, complimentary parking passes are available to staff and faculty who do not live on campus. Contact the Athletic Department at ext. 6151 for more information.

Athletic Facilities
Staff members and their immediate family (spouse and children) may use the athletic facilities on campus. Opportunities include: swimming, racquetball, tennis, track, and the fitness center in Kirby Fieldhouse. Hours for use of facilities are posted at the beginning of each school term and are subject to change. In-season athletes have first priority for use of the tennis courts. Please visit the Fitness Center or Human Resources Office to complete paperwork for access to the facilities.

Automatic Teller Machine

An ATM is available, for withdrawals only, at the Brown Student Center near the interior entrance to the post office.


Employees are welcome to use the College Bookstore, on the second floor of Graham Hall. The Bookstore carries a wide variety of College merchandise, including clothing, souvenir items, school, office and personal supplies, snacks, drinks, cards, and music (CDs). Employees receive a 10% discount on purchases. UPS, Fed-Ex, mail order, fax machines, and copying services are available at the Bookstore. There is a minimal charge for the processing of packages and use of machines. Hours of operation during the academic year are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Birthday discount: employees receive a 40% discount off any gift or clothing item in recognition of their birthday.

Charge Accounts

Employees with an ID card and a charge account application on file in the Human Resources Office may charge at the Bookstore, coffee shops, Dining Hall, and Tiger Inn. Charges to any of these three facilities are collected by the Business Office. The Business Office will send a monthly bill to the individual, who must in turn pay the bill at the Business Office. Delinquent accounts may result in suspension or termination of all charge privileges.
For information about opening a charge account, contact the Human Resources Assistant in Cabell House.

Computers - personal

Dell computers can be purchased via the College's Computing Center and setup on a payment plan. Call ext. 6911 for computer related questions and ext. 6216 for billing questions.
The Computing Center also provides technical assistance for personal computers (not during peak seasons). Contact ext. 6911 for assistance or repair related questions.

Dining Hall/Tiger Inn

The dining hall (Pannill Commons) is located on the main floor of Settle Hall. The Tiger Inn Restaurant is located on the lower level of the Brown Student Center. Employees may enjoy meals at either facility during normal hours of operations. Special meal rates are designated for employees and family members at the dining hall only. Meals may be paid for with cash or charged (if a charge account has been established through the Human Resources Office). Changes in scheduled hours of operation are announced via e-mail.

Facility Reservations

Contact the Director of College Events, ext. 6138, for information about availability of facilities and/or to reserve campus facilities for events.
When an event is confirmed, the title, date, location, and time are posted on the College Calendar on the Hampden-Sydney College web site. The public calendar is available to all visitors to the web site. Faculty and staff may view a listing of administrative events or those activities not open to the general public. To access the administrative calendar: click on "Administrative Calendar," click on "go"; Username is: hsc\(insert your email id), password is your network password. To locate a certain type of event, type a "keyword" into the search box.

Hazardous Materials/Material Safety Data Sheets

Questions regarding the use of hazardous materials or material safety data sheets (MSDS) should be directed to the supervisor of the department, the Chemistry Laboratory Technician, or the Human Resources Office.

Health/Wellness Center

The Wellness Center is a resource primarily for students; however, faculty and staff are encouraged to use the Center for assistance with routine health monitoring (for instance, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood glucose). The Center is also able to provide assistance with general health information, locating appropriate health care facilities, information about medications, and general health counseling. The College Physician does not routinely provide services for faculty and staff at the Health Center. The nursing staff is available to see faculty and staff from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday during the academic year and on a less regular schedule at other times.

Identification Cards

At orientation new employees are offered the opportunity to have a photo ID card prepared. The ID card provides proof of employment; serves as a charge card for the Bookstore, Dining Hall, and the Tiger Inn. ID cards are prepared at the Computing Center.
If an ID card is lost, a new card may be prepared at the same location.

Library and Fuqua International Communications Center (FICC)

The Bortz Library and FICC house the College's collections of books, periodicals, government documents, newspapers, micro formats, DVDs, Kindles, audio CDROMS, and a small children's book collection. Hours of operation are: Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m., Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., and Sunday noon - 1:00 a.m. A College ID or Virginia driver's license should be presented when checking out materials. Spouses and dependents (over age 18) of faculty/staff may check out materials. Dependents under the age of 18 may check out materials only when accompanied by the faculty/staff member. Faculty/staff may check out materials from the circulating collection for a four week period. Reference service is provided to faculty/staff and to a limited extent to spouses and dependents.

Loan Program

The College understands that there may be situations in which an employee is unable to wait until the next pay date. The Human Resources Office will loan employees up to $300 per instance, $2,000 maximum per calendar year. The loan will be deducted from the employee's paycheck in increments of $100 or more. Contact the Payroll Manager at ext. 6225 if you have questions.

Lost and Found

The Dean of Students Office (ext. 6128) receives and returns "lost and found" items. You can also contact Public Safety and Police (ext. 6300).

Phones for Emergency Use
Emergency phones (no charge to use) are located in the Crawley Forum parking lot, behind the Library, near Fraternity Circle, behind Venable Hall, near the Police Department (Gilkeson) and at the Carpenter Dorms. Pushing a designated button on the phone will connect the individual with 911 to receive police assistance immediately. While the phone is in use, a blue light will flash alerting police in the vicinity that emergency services are needed.

Post Office

The College provides U.S. Postal and United Parcel Services. The Post Office is located on the ground floor of the Brown Student Center. The hours of operation for the public are 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Propane and Fuel Oil Discount

Each summer the College negotiates its price for propane and fuel oil. As an employee of the College you are eligible for discounted propane or fuel oil (provided that you own your tank) from the selected company. Contact the Director of Facility Support at ext. 6276 for more information.


The College has a designated Safety Committee that meets periodically to review safety issues on campus and make recommendations for maintaining a safe working environment. Employees wishing to contact a member of this Committee should contact the Business Office at ext. 6216.

Public Safety and Police

The Department of Public Safety and Police is located in Gilkeson (near the front gates). Twenty-four-hour coverage is provided on campus, with an officer on duty at all times. To reach the security office, call 223-6300 or 223-6164 or, in an emergency, call 911. Dialing 911 will connect individuals to the Farmville Police Department, who will dispatch a College officer to the scene.

Telecommunications and Cable Television Office

The College's telecommunications switchboard (434.223.6300 or extension 6300) is open during the academic year Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m., and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to noon and from 6:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The switchboard is located in Gilkeson.
The Telecommunications Technician (telephone and cable television) is located in the CenturyLink building behind Cabell House. Ext. 6021

Telephone Books

Local telephone books are available at the Post Office in Graham Hall.
The Directory for the College is distributed in August of each year. Contact the Administrative Secretary, Business Office at ext. 6216 if your Directory information is incorrect or if you did not receive a copy.

Tuition Benefits

The College offers all full-time employees (after one year of service) multiple tuition benefits. The College only provides assistance towards associates or baccalaureate degrees. Benefits are available to the employee, their spouse and any legal dependents. Contact the Human Resources Assistant at ext. 6296 if you have questions. More information is available in the Faculty/Staff Handbooks.

Verizon Wireless Discounts

Employees of the College may be eligible for discounts (up to 18%) from Verizon Wireless. Contact the Administrative Secretary, Business Office at ext. 6216 for more information.


Computer Hardware and Software, Telephones, Cable Television
To report problems with your computer, telephone, and cable television call extension 6911 to place a work order.

Fire Alarms

To report a fire alarm problem call extension 6159 or 6357 Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m.

General Maintenance - including: custodial, heating and cooling, painters, carpenters

To report problems in your work location or any other problems you witness on campus, call extension 7000 to place a work order or visit

After Hours Emergency - Fire Alarms, General Maintenance

If you experience a fire alarm or general maintenance emergency after 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday or anytime on Saturday or Sunday, contact Campus Security and Police at extension 6164.