Located on a circular drive recently named Garland Lane in honor of retired Dean of Admissions Anita Garland, the 38,000-square-foot complex includes five apartment buildings as well as a community center that opens up to Chalgrove Lake. The entire complex has been designed to enhance the Hampden-Sydney brotherhood and complement the natural beauty of the College’s 1340-acre campus.
Drawing on historic and regional elements, the buildings’ exterior design is both appropriate to the wooded setting and masculine in its appeal. Red brick foundations will support taupe and moss green plank siding topped by the traditional metal roofs found in Southside Virginia—choices inspired by the College’s original wood clapboard buildings and historic buildings like the Birthplace, Estcourt, and Thornton Place.
The size and placement of the six separate structures complement the scale of the adjacent Whitehouse residence hall while significantly expanding the College’s residential offerings. A mix of two- and three- story buildings will feature 17 two-bedroom and 14 three-bedroom apartments with large windows that allow ample natural light and views of the surrounding woods, heavy timbered breezeways that provide areas for flexible seating and hammocks, and a center courtyard large enough for football, Frisbee, and informal recreation.
With prominent timber framing, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a large deck facing Chalgrove Lake, the one-story community center provides a seamless transition between outdoor and indoor spaces. In addition to a large multi-purpose room, the community center will offer small study spaces, an outdoor meeting area, and storage for outdoor equipment like kayaks and mountain bikes.