Academic assistance and appropriate accommodations are provided to students with diagnosed learning disabilities. Further information about the procedure to request accommodations may be obtained from the Office of Academic Success.
Any student wishing to initiate academic accommodations at Hampden Sydney College must first complete the Request for Academic Accommodations Form. Please follow the directions for submission on the form. As students transition to Hampden-Sydney College, they should be aware of common differences in service provision to that of the high school setting.
Qualified Evaluating Professionals
Please contact the Office of Academic Success if you have questions regarding the selection of diagnostic assessments necessary for accommodation determinations. See also Procedures for Disability Documentation below.
Returning students may submit a request for academic accommodations at any time during their enrollment at Hampden-Sydney College. The process for review of documentation and accommodation recommendations could take 2-3 weeks.
Incoming students are encouraged to have their paperwork and documentation to the Associate Director for Academic Success by August 1st to allow the learning consultant enough time to determine if you are eligible for accommodations, if more documentation is needed, and to provide for appropriate accommodations before the semester begins.
- Accommodations, Student Responsibility and Assessment
- Language Substitution Policy
- Math Substitution Policy
- Note-taking Policy
- Procedures for Disability Documentation
- Service Animal Policy
- Emotional Support Animal Policy
- Mobility (Utility) Cart Policy
Contact the Office of Academic Success with questions related to disability service provision at the College.
- Call 434-223-6286
- Fax using our confidential line at 434-223-6244
- Mail to: Office of Academic Success, Disability Services Coordinator, PO Box, 685, Hampden Sydney, VA 23943
The Office of Academic Success manages accommodations in a classroom setting; however, the Office is the repository for all student disability documentation. The Disability Services Coordinator will serve as an advocate for the student in addressing accommodations elsewhere in the College like the residence halls and dining services.
The Office of Academic Success offers a courtesy testing space for up to 4 students, to help support the accommodated testing needs of our students with disabilities. If faculty members wish to have their students use this testing space, they should contact AccommodatedTesting@hsc.edu in the Office of Academic Success or call Gerri Williams at 434-223-6286 to discuss the testing parameters at least a day in advance to ensure availability.
Additional Disability Resources
- An Open Letter to Parents of Students with Disabilities About to Enter College advice on how to empower your student
- An Unofficial Explanation of Typical College Vocabulary from LDadvisory.com
- What Students with ADHD and Their Parends Should Know an article from LDadvisory.com
- DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking and Technology) Resources for students with disabilities, faculty, parents and mentors.
- AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability) Transition resources for students and parents
- US Dept of Education: Office of Civil Rights Post-secondary transition information for students and parents
- Making College Affordable: a guide for students with disabilities